Team Raleigh MTB imposter

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
I am not sure how well this will be received here as most of these posts seem to be original or bikes with period modifications which this one is definitely not either. As a teenager I always lusted after one of the Team Raleigh racing bikes, I possibly could have afforded one of the 5 speed Records but don't ever remember seeing one in the bike shop I used so when deciding on a paint scheme for this one decided to do a homage.
It is not actually a Raleigh but a Roberts Roughstuff from 1994 so is 531 tubing and fillet brazed, I presume it would have been someones made to order pride and joy at one time, not the rusty mess with a seized in bottom bracket that I bought. I prefer hub gears and either drum or disc brakes on bikes I plan to ride off road and this one has a pair of vintage Sturmey Archer drums with a 3 speed hub, they were also a rusty mess until I had them powder coated and rebuilt them with new bearings and brake shoes, I machined up a long rear spindle for the 135mm dropouts and all fittings have been remade in stainless steel. The rims are Rigida and the 40 spoke for the rear took some tracking down.
Most of the other components are Hope, it has a Hope seatpost now as well as my prefered Ergon grips and Brooks saddle and with its low gearing is quite usable on the lanes around here, I know there is a limit to how low the gearing should be on a SA 3 speed but I am light enough it does not seem to be a problem.
IMG_20200320_103150-XL.jpg

IMG_20200320_103001-XL.jpg

A weird mix. Coming from me that’s a compliment. It’s your bike to do with as you please. I always wanted a team Raleigh too.

Enjoy its uniqueness.

:D i like it, definatly would want to ride/try it if i had the chance.

mk one":2ete8lds said:
:D i like it, definatly would want to ride/try it if i had the chance.

Thank you, I have just got back from my hours permitted exercise on it, an 8 mile spin in the lanes around here which was great fun except the ford that is usually around 6 inches deep was closer to 12 so wet feet, if I was allowed it would have been further.

Re:

Awesome paint job there, probably my favourite ever Raleigh scheme. Not sure if I could do this to a Roberts TBH, but I like the bike as a whole - especially the work put into getting the wheels up to scratch.

I was considering doing the same paint wise with my Ti M-Trax 500 frame.. it's giving me food for thought :)

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":2i78ojpe said:
Awesome paint job there, probably my favourite ever Raleigh scheme. Not sure if I could do this to a Roberts TBH, but I like the bike as a whole - especially the work put into getting the wheels up to scratch.

I was considering doing the same paint wise with my Ti M-Trax 500 frame.. it's giving me food for thought :)

I originally tried it on an old M-Trax frame and it looked good but the paint was not very tough and the Roberts frame a lot lighter so I thought why not? I have another Roughstuff that has the original paint job as well which also affected my decision.
The original Raleigh frame I am building up as lockdown parts bin special, I would not dare put photos of that up, not nice at all.

Very cool and you've certainly done it justice IMHO. There's also of course a history of bikes painted with the team livery but manufactured by someone else. Please put up pics of your other Roughstuff - I know others would like to see it too!

narcotitlan":2q6mokpu said:
Very cool and you've certainly done it justice IMHO. There's also of course a history of bikes painted with the team livery but manufactured by someone else. Please put up pics of your other Roughstuff - I know others would like to see it too!

Thanks for your comments, I am not sure that this should be up here as I had it built in 2008 but here goes. I asked for front suspension as I planned and have used it for off road touring, it has Rohloff hub gears, disc brakes, most of the components are Hope with Middleburn cranks, USE seatpost and a Brooks saddle.
This photo was taken in Cambodia during a 4 month tour of Southeast Asia.

043-L.jpg

Back