Vintage clip type head set {pre war}Chater lea .

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
I am having trouble getting the slack out of the forks on an old FW Evans . Any pointers for this type of head set ? I think it is a Chater lea . Thanks in advance .

Slacken off the top lock nut and the nut holding the collar. Tighten the top lock nut until the slack disappears. Then tighten the nut on the collar to finish.

Re:

The top nut /flange,is the problem. It has two holes in its top where a tool would fit in order to tighten it down,not a normal open ended spanner . The tool needed would be based along the lines of the adjuster cup peg tool/ pin spanner .I have nothing that comes close to fitting it . I have looked at the Park tool spa 6 and the distance between the pins is to far apart .

The Derby Flyer. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Re:

With the head clip bolt loosened you should be able to turn the top nut by hand. Have you got the right size balls?
Some used 3/16 inch in lower race, 1/8 in the top.
Are the inserted ring races in the cast lugs correct?

Keith

Re:

Hi Keith.
I was hoping you would come along with your trade experience , knowledge .
The races are correctly seated in the cast lugs and I have fitted the correct size balls as far as i know .ie the same size as the ones that came out .
I may just have to strip it down and reassemble it, checking everything again as I go.

I have rebuilt this type of head set before without problems .I had one on a Saxon twin tube which the different size ball bearing arrangement top and bottom and races that seated into cast lug.
The only thing I can think of that may be causing problems is that I am using a stem that has an expander bolt fitted. As far as I know the correct period stem would not of had one .

Plenty of time available at the moment to sort it out.

Paul .

Re:

Cracked it . Turned out to be a simple fix. :facepalm: Removed spacer {for some reason I had fitted two when I rebuilt the bike last year} . All nice firm when applying the front brake . Forks smooth when turning handle bars from side to side .
Also after digging about in the shed I found a pin spanner that fitted perectly from an old Aldi tool kit .

Back