Fitting a Shimano XT Shark Fin for the first time...

mezzanine

Retro Guru
Perhaps this is a silly question but I thought the sticker that comes with it would allow you to stick the guard part to the chain stay but it's only one sided and seem to be the yellow sticky paper you stick to the underside of the plastic guard?

Seems like it's not needed really, if someone can confirm that's correct I'd really appreciate it and any other tips. Apparently they're good at shifting mud off your wheel as well :)

Do you want it as close to the rim braking surface as possible, shimano states 2-5mm and I take it as close to the tyre angle as possible too.

Nice kit, but I'm a newbie on this one. Thanks Mezz

Installed it and think nothing looks off, pretty pleased. I just used the yellow paper/sticker backing and the zip-ties keep it tight. Glad I have two.

Re:

The “yellow paper” is a backing sheet for the adhesive strip beneath, if you get a blade and gently try lift at the edge the adhesive strip will be revealed!

Oh well seems okay and allows me to make little adjustments. Next time I come round to replace the zip-ties for fresh ones I'll peel off the paper. At least I know now thanks.

Re:

I'm just about to exchange my 20+ year old shark fin for a NOS one and am also a little confused on what you're supposed to do!

How something that looks so simple can be confusing is, well confusing :facepalm:

For some reason I expected the adhesive strip to be double sided so that you could stick the shark fin to the frame, and then be belt and braces with the zip ties.... but it seems to be a single sided adhesive strip?

So do you stick this to the shark fin and it just acts as some sort of protector between the shark fin and frame?

Somebody please put me out of my misery and explain... Thanks!!

Re:

It's been a couple of years since I fitted one, but I do have a NOS one somewhere.
I thought the adhesive was double sided, and theres a place for a cable tie to go through to secure it. I added 2 cabke ties last time as the near 30 year old adhesive was sh*t!
Mines probably boy 10mm at least ftom the rim.
They look retro-cool and all, but I'm really not sure how much use they actually are :LOL:

Thanks for the reply jimo746!

I spoke to my mate who actually bought this for me and he confirmed the adhesive IS double sided as you say. I just couldn't see how the second side came off, but once one side is actually stuck to something, the second side comes off easily enough.

So for anyone else reading this in the future, I stuck adhesive strip to the underside of the shark fin first, then peeled off the backing and lined it all up before pressing it firmly onto the frame. Zip ties added and job is complete :)

Re:

I always found it odd the instructions never told you how to do that, just the exact mm it should be positioned.

Which calls for a new topic...

Back