Leaking revelation rebound damper

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just bought a set of 2014-16 revelations which are in excellent condition bar a leaky rebound damper.

I took a punt knowing I had spares but nothing I have is of the same design.

I cant find a replacement for cheaper that £85, which is sadly more than I want to spend, so can i:

Use a damper from say a reba as is, though having a different top assembly?

Swap over the top part from rev assembly on to a new reba one?

Take apart the rev damper and fix the problem, assuming it is an o-ring that needs replacing?

Last option, find a new damper cheaper than £85 (significsntly).

I want to use the forks on a build, and drop them to 120 from the standard 140. Markings ho to 130, but will this mod also be ok? I have the 120mm air shaft which I believe is all I need to change to reduce travel.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Still uses the motion control damper I think. They sometimes leak from the bottom o ring seal and dump the damper oil onto the lower leg causing poor damping and hydro locking. I replaced the bottom o ring seal in an older motion control damper and it never leaked again, the o ring was in the service kit which wasn’t expensive.

Re:

Thsnks. I think the issue I have is the rebound adjuster o ring is leaking, allowing oil out through the bottom leg adjuster. The link above suggests the damper can be taken apart and the o ring replaced, but it's on a pile, not rev. The 'fix' the prevolious owner did was to prevent the leak by replacing the adjuster with a bolt so no hole to leak through.

DOD you take apart your damper to fit the o ring?

Re: Re:

ishaw":2wsj39st said:
Thsnks. I think the issue I have is the rebound adjuster o ring is leaking, allowing oil out through the bottom leg adjuster. The link above suggests the damper can be taken apart and the o ring replaced, but it's on a pile, not rev. The 'fix' the prevolious owner did was to prevent the leak by replacing the adjuster with a bolt so no hole to leak through.

DOD you take apart your damper to fit the o ring?

I did indeed, so it basically sounds the same as my situation but both the damper o-ring and the leg bolt o-ring need replacing as the oil should not leak from the bolt even a bolt with a hole, basically the oil should leak from the damper, with first thing that fails is the lockout and then start hydro locking during use as the oil from the damper is then sitting in the lower leg. The service kit had o-rings for both lower leg and damper included and it was pretty easy to change (these were 2008/9 Recon Race SL's with the Motion Control damper). I actually foumd the bag with the unused remains of the kit yesterday and the same kit, part number - 11.4015.250.000 is the motion control damper service kit for Reba/Recon/Revelation/Pike dampers.

Carl.

Re:

Thanks again for the reply. I'm keen to avoid damaging the rebound damper, so how did you remove the inner rod? The link above gives good info on this, but for a pike damper. Was it the same process?

Re:

Same process on my old recons from memory. I think it's the same for all 4 models that use motion control

Re:

Great, thanks. I might just swap over the top part onto a new damper as the rev one is different at the top, and I have a few new damper assemblies. Based on your experience, do you think that will work?

Re: Re:

ishaw":37yjd7lq said:
Great, thanks. I might just swap over the top part onto a new damper as the rev one is different at the top, and I have a few new damper assemblies. Based on your experience, do you think that will work?

Not sure on that to be honest as the travel on the forks differs, they are the same travel it could well work though. I only have a set of Revs (Recons are long gone now) on my boys trail bike and haven't needed to service them yet. I'm pretty sure that the Pikes are just a chunkier version of Revs though so it's a good chance the internals are the same especially as the service kits are common.
They aren't that difficult to pull apart so got to be worth a look.

Re:

Will give it a go. Just want to avoid having to spend over £90 on a new damper if it goes wrong/I mess up.

Back