'94 John Tomac's Raleigh USA race bike saddle identification

Re:

Slightly better photo here, are you sure it's the correct saddle? Most photos show that he usually used a Flite Titanium...

Attachments

• Tomac-bike-ebay.jpg
    Tomac-bike-ebay.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 1,081
Have you searched on here? there are a couple of Tomac builds that may help shed some light.

I don't know, information on Tomac's '94 Raleigh are scarce. And yes, I've read the various Tomac replica threads here. But they're modeled after the earlier carbon/titanium John Tomac Signature Model bikes. I seem to decipher Raleigh on the pictured saddle, but not sure. Anyway, it's probably manufactured by someone else, but who? And what model? Hence my question ;-)

Guys, that's no Tomac Signature. It's Raleigh USA MT1000 (or something like that) that has been dressed up with "Tomac" decals are some of the components he was using.
Tomac didn't race that or that kind of a bike. His was carbon/ti model and in the last year with Raleigh in 1994, he was racing an aluminum framed "Experimental" made by Control Tech. And he was using a Selle Italia Flite saddle all the time.

This is his 1993 Signature:
49ae4984318c4cfcde0eb88ebc43cee5.jpg

1994 bike:
1065504-official-john-tomac-picture-thread-image.jpg

This has been largely debated here and there (e.g. https://bikerumor.com/2014/08/14/throwb ... e-on-ebay/).

It's NOT a MTi1000. I'm currently rebuilding one of those and they're subtle differences.

It's however true that Tomac did rode the MTi1000 in a couple races in Australia and Europe, as pictured in the 1994 Dyna-Tech catalogue where it's funnily referred as Torus. We all know it's the same frame, but the picture definitely shows it in the Raleigh USA MTi1000 livery, as publicly available from Raleigh USA, without any fancy or race parts:

file.php

Re:

That catalog pic is an advert shot, not a photo from a race (no race numbers to be seen).
Also the video shows some kind of advert group ride, it's not a race that's going on in there.
JT would ride whichever bike Raleigh would ask him to in the ads but I've never seen any race pics of him on this kind of a bike. Also, that bike has a Rock Shox and Tomac did use RS on Raleigh only in 1992 and then again in 1995 when he moved to Giant USA.

It still can be a Pearl Izumi promo bike used for adverts and such, but it's not his race bike or 'John Tomac Signature'.

Nevertheless, the answer to your original question is: Selle Italia Flite Titanium. :D

Re: Re:

Archangel":33ztx7jn said:
That catalog pic is an advert shot, not a photo from a race (no race numbers to be seen).
Also the video shows some kind of advert group ride, it's not a race that's going on in there.
JT would ride whichever bike Raleigh would ask him to in the ads but I've never seen any race pics of him on this kind of a bike. Also, that bike has a Rock Shox and Tomac did use RS on Raleigh only in 1992 and then again in 1995 when he moved to Giant USA.

It still can be a Pearl Izumi promo bike used for adverts and such, but it's not his race bike or 'John Tomac Signature'.

Nevertheless, the answer to your original question is: Selle Italia Flite Titanium. :D

I know nothing about Tomac’s bikes after the Yeti era, I was just trying to help the op by advising him that going by photos online, Tomac went from a Turbo saddle to a Flite Ti. What I do know though is that the saddle on the bike in the photo is most definitely not a Selle Italia Flite Titanium!

Re: Re:

1978":16ogonpu said:
I know nothing about Tomac’s bikes after the Yeti era, I was just trying to help the op by advising him that going by photos online, Tomac went from a Turbo saddle to a Flite Ti. What I do know though is that the saddle on the bike in the photo is most definitely not a Selle Italia Flite Titanium!

No, definitely not! Actually I answered incorrectly, or - I gave the answer to question what saddle was fitted on race bike of John Tomac and there the answer is Flite like you said too.
However, the saddle on this "John Tomac" bike is something totally different and a very worn one as well.

BTW: Now when I took a better look at the photos, I can tell that the fork on the bike is a RockShox Mag 20 from 1992.
If everyhing else is scratched with 4-94 (for some reason beyond my understanding), why would there be a 2-year old fork on JT's bike. No way.

What was Tomac's blue suspension fork were they good and were they available to the public? I've never ever seen one anywhere else except in shots of Tomac racing.

Back