Campagnolo BB question

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So, I have a set of NOS Campagnolo Euclid cups I could really use for a road set up, are the axles cross compatible? The cups look identical to any other 80s cup and cone Campy BB and whilst I appreciate the Euclid axle is longer and a little beefed up in the middle it really feels like it's just the axle length that's different! Any ideas?

Oh, and if so, does anyone have a good nick 112 mm 68/British axle spare? :)

Yes the cups should be compatible with the correct axle. I might have one, will have a look

Re:

You're correct that you need the 114.5 axle for post 1978 Record.

There are different types of axles though - some of the cups had thick walls and some had thin ones, so the bearing shoulders on the axles aren't all the same distance apart.

The outside edges of the bearing shoulders on a Record axle are just under 50mm. Gran Sport and (I think) Triomphe had the same axle length but the bearings are further apart because the cups are thinner.

I suspect the ATB cups are thick walled with the rubber seals, but you'd really need to measure the axle to be sure.

I don't have a 114.5mm axle. The thick walled cups generally (always?) have rifling on the inner hole, designed to pull grease out of the bearings and so stop muck getting in.

Back