What cables???

mr-mac

Retro Guru
Ok,

I am building up an 1980 Claud touring road bike for my mum. She wants flat bars as is too old for drops now.

I have everything I need now apart from cables. So I am using mtb shimano derailleurs (of correct era and capable of larger front chainring) as she wanted indexing and prefers gripshift style (shimano revo as has nice big numbers for her 7sp as 5mm spacing, married to Suntour 6 speed freewheel which also has 5mm spacing). Also have shimano 105 long reach callipers to cope with mudgaurds and old non-v flat bar brake levers that came off my 90’s kona kula. Oh and have a clamp on Suntour downtube gear lever band with shimano sis adjusters for the gear cables.

What I was wondering do I want mtb cables or road bike cables. Not sure if the termination is different or it’s just the lengths. Or what is diff tbh. Obv bar will be done like mtb so assuming mtb cables but just want 100%.

Also are there any good value packs that will give me suitable cables and the cable outers for both brake and gears?

Many thanks

Just to throw a spanner in the works, 5 speed spacing is generally 5.5mm, 6 and 7 are 5.0.
So you will need a 6 speed block to get the indexing right with the shifters.

Re:

It’s a Suntour 6 speed new winner ultra freewheel.

Ultra is the 6 speed designed to fit in 5 speed spacing and has 5mm spacing on the cogs. Which should tie up exactly to the 7 speed shimano shifters/derailleur which is also a 5mm spacing ion cogs

Re:

the difference in your brake cables is the end - the lever housing.
flat bar levers need a barrel fitting (looks lateral to the cable length)
drop bar levers need a different (? name) fitting (looks kinda in-line directionally)

buy some with both ends (you cut one end off) and it will become obvious which you need.

Re:

So probs a mtb set for both I guess so the ends are compatible with my flat bar levers and revoshift shifters.

Or the shimano combined set

Shimano gear cables are all the same for MTB and road, brake cables often come with a "road" end and an "MTB" end, you just cut off the one you don't need.

Outers are all the same between road and MTB (brake and gear are different from each other though)

Back