why is trek uncool/unpopular?

greenfinger

Retro Guru
I will prob get a slagging or whatever but why is it trek aren't very highly regarded? i bought my 920 when i was 15, its the only bike i had left from all the old ones i had(marin/specialized ect) as it was stripped to the frame at one point and stored in my dads shed while i used my rockhopper and then moved to motorbikes only for a while. It was the only bike i bought brand new in my youth. i like the frame, had loads fun on it so decided to get it built up. What started as a tidy up and get it on the road has resulted in me spending way more than i intended to(since joining here :twisted: ) and rekindled my love for old mountain bikes. But anyway, back to the question....? p.s i've now started looking into getting another project on the go. Something cooler perhaps :cool: :LOL:

i dont know but i like treks
had a few over the years and wish i hadnt sold the 8000sl i had :cry:
nice mettalic blue and light too

rob

Once i have mine finished i'll get a pic up. i'm not a hardcore fan of treks or any manufacturer tbh, i like that many. i had a ride on it at the shop and liked it, the price was right and meant i could upgrade it. I always felt the frame was as good as many other mid range bikes of the day so dont understand why they dont have a following

I think from a UK point of view (well at least mine ;)),
TREK's are a bit like the name, they are just 'there'. "I'll just pop out for a trek to the local shops" or "... out for a Sunday ride".
They worked, they did their job, you could buy them from almost any bike shop and you're old man would probably buy one.

think its because theyre just good solid ordinary no fuss bikes.they work and last for ages,most exotic and cooler looking bikes are favoured due to being slightly different or have things that stand out and make um theyre own,trek howerver never really did.thats probobly why theyre still going and are popular to buy.

Only Trek's which are a bit what you think "that's a nice one"are the older OCLV 9900's and the 990 I believe wich was brown/purple anodized and in the catalogue with white/amber tires. Those where sweat... Oh yes, and the 9200 the first one with rearsuspension and those fluorescent rears... The rest is just 13 in a dozen me thinks.

But I think I'm being influenced by selling lot's of Treks every week so they are everything but special....

Treks are unpopular in my opinion because the bought up Gary Fisher, Bontrager, klein and Greg Lemond bikes.
Because they were such a large corporation they could afford to buy out all of the smaller companies, and get rid of a lot of the competition in one fowl swoop. Now all the companies are shadows of what they were before the were bought out. Just my 2 pence worth :D

Treks are just boring!!! Just look at the names for example - a bunch of numbers, not really a yo eddy, zaskar or stumpjumper in there. They make decent enough bikes but they're really just not very interesting imho. That and the corporateness(?) as mentioned above and they're not really a company that inspire much passion!

adrian":3ssx2xdl said:
Treks are unpopular in my opinion because the bought up Gary Fisher, Bontrager, klein and Greg Lemond bikes.
Because they were such a large corporation they could afford to buy out all of the smaller companies, and get rid of a lot of the competition in one fowl swoop. Now all the companies are shadows of what they were before the were bought out. Just my 2 pence worth :D

The bike snob in us all wants to ride a nice bike with some coolness attached, but the bulk of the market is bikes at a price, this is what Trek do very well. As for the buying of other companys the other option could have been the companys closed down, whats better Trek owned Fisher or they go the way of Fat Chance, Onza etc, as much as we admire Gary Fisher, Keith Bontrager etc for what they did at the end of the day they are business men who are there to make a profit, and at the end of the day if they can sell there comapany and semi-retire/retire who can blame them, I know I would.

I Dont get the knocking the big guys, for producing bikes for every one.

Back