Specialized S Works M4 2000 xc racer Project

mezzanine

Retro Guru
This is still a capable race machine even now. I love this bike. Weight wise my finished build came in at around 21.5lbs

This is how it looked when I got it, the chap who sold it told me it was his wife's and it was bought while in the USA in 2000. From the States the bike came back with them to Scotland. I think he said it was his wife's "race bike" - Powerbar sticker hints it may have been raced for a season but in general the bike has had an easy life.

Attachments

• dan2 copy.jpeg
    dan2 copy.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,674
  • retro.jpg
    retro.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,675
I changed a few parts over that needed replacing or were a bit of a mismatch like the XT front wheel changed to the original X517 rims and the M750 crankset swapped out for a Raceface LP Crankset plus fitted some lovely Time ATACS. The hazy summer day pictures of the bike below show the finished build 2019.

Attachments

• s-l1600-3 copy 2.jpg
    s-l1600-3 copy 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_4125 copy.jpeg
    IMG_4125 copy.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_4114 copy.jpeg
    IMG_4114 copy.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 1,676
Re:

Thanks for the kind comments. Specialized has a strong following from that time there's no doubt. Love the square/diamond shape of the top tube and slim seatstays which work well for a very precise, responsive, level of feedback but that stiffness can fatigue me depending on my fitness level.

All the components are mainly original or as period correct as possible, XTR M960 cassette for example replacing the earlier XT M750. I tried to keep weight low fitting Panaracer GreenLite latex inner tubes. The Raceface LP crankset has a Ti bottom bracket. If I find a near new S-works crankset I could be tempted to swap but think the Raceface crankset is better. Fitted fresh red Specialized grips this year, I'm sure it's just nostalgia but I feel you can't beat the original grips.

Here are more pictures of the bike when it was work in progress still finding what works and what doesn't - I found out I needed a lay-back Thomson seat post. Excuse the red SLR saddle below as it doesn't match too well for the overall look. I decided to stick with a black SLR from 2001 and the red 2007 was put aside. More Stumpie race pics added :cool:

Attachments

• 02 copy.jpeg
    02 copy.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,549
  • 08 copy.jpeg
    08 copy.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,549
  • 01 copy.jpeg
    01 copy.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,549
Re:

I had a 2002 S Works M4... red and white...
Bought and built I’ll as a frame set from bikes when Guisbrough.
Sold it to a friend after around 6 years ownership.
Bought it back then sold the frame I think on here?

Worst decision made! Miss that bike. I did everything on it and was most lightweight and capable bike I’ve had. I only sold it cos I was lured by a full carbon s works FSR as my wedding present off the missus many moons ago.

Enjoy it!

Nice build

Thanks prezza. The red and white 02 S-Works M5's look brilliant. I think that was the last year they were made in the USA. Glad to hear you had many happy years on your S-Works 02, funnily enough I was lucky enough to find a 2002 S-Works recently which is beautiful and so modern looking with new disc brakes.

Back