early 90's Marin identification help!

captain8track

Retro Guru
Been offered this frame, it's marked khs but that's just for shows. It's a Marin, but what model is it? it looks pretty high end. I think the year on this would be early 90's but I'm not sure.

I also need to be sure that it's 1 1/8 fork dimension? it seems that they have had that as standard for a long time. I need to know cause I have a fork that I want to put on it, and I want to use Ahead on it...

it looks like a pretty good frame, with some work could be a nice retro xc race rocket!

Attachments

• IMGP5127.JPG
    IMGP5127.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,797
  • IMGP5129.JPG
    IMGP5129.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,797
  • IMGP5130.JPG
    IMGP5130.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • IMGP5131.JPG
    IMGP5131.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,797
Looks very much like my Marin Team Issue which is a 1993 and does indeed have a 1 1/8th headtube.
Are there any clues to the tubes used as that would help a lot to identify it, but think you should be safe with your forks

Bit of a cheek now, but if that is the original purple seat Q/R and you have the bike, I would be very interested in buying it
Last bit I need for my restoration and would make sure you had enough for a nice new one or a purple bolt type from mine

i'd agree. Never seen anything other than a team issue/marin with the cable stops on the side of the headtube but i may be wrong

i'd agree. Never seen anything other than a team issue/marin with the cable stops on the side of the headtube but i may be wrong

ha

that's what I expected...

Sure If I get it, I'll try to ship the qr to you from sweden.

do u know the seatpost dimension? I'm thinking of a thomson finnishing kit. Have a seatpost in 27.2

a judy (or maybe a sid) would be just fine on that one don't u think?

ha

that's what I expected...

Sure If I get it, I'll try to ship the qr to you from sweden.

do u know the seatpost dimension? I'm thinking of a thomson finnishing kit. Have a seatpost in 27.2

a judy (or maybe a sid) would be just fine on that one don't u think?

Firstly thanks about the Q/R that would be great

Now back to business, the seatpost on mine is a 26.4mm and you might get away with a Judy or a Sid if its got about max 50-60mm travel

They came originally with a rigid fork and the suspension option was a Manitou 2 which had about 45mm of travel
Looks like the original stem on there with the roller, reckon it could be either the Team or the Team Issue frame, one had Tange Prestige/XT and the other Tange Ultimate/XTR

This is mine back to the original spec apart from the seat Q/R.
I also have scans of both the catalogue pages for the bikes if you do decide to go ahead
If you need any more info I will do my best to help out
Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• Marin Team Issue 009.JPG
    Marin Team Issue 009.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,751
re:

yes, just hope that the guy finds it worthy a new life and ship it to me. He wanted me to pick it up but he lives kind of far away.

It's probarly the XT version, but the xtr version is a bit nicer!

We debated about forks on our swedish forum,and came up with this conclusion, an modern (post 2000ish) is constructed to have sag. which an older 63mm fork wasn't that means that a 80mm's sid with around2 cm sag will work as long as the bike is loaded with an rider. And will get to sloped unloaded, i tried this on my current GT which is designed for a 63mm fork, and I found that the result was satisfying. But to compare I tried an 100mm's of the same brand and that screwed everything up. I might not be the best of worlds running an 80mm on an old frame, but it works and doesn't feel that strange. And you could adjust the riding height with a negative rise stem I guess, the steering will be a bit slower but not catastrophale not worse then the newer bikes with risers and general lazy arse geometry...

seatpost geometry was a setback, have to find my old Use unit...

Still not sure about an 80mm fork on this frame, but no harm in giving it a go and see what happens.
Think the dropouts confirm your belief that its a Marin Team as do the cable hanger and bridge.
Very nice frames and sure it would make the basis of a great build

Attachments

• IMG_0442 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0442 (Medium).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,729
  • IMG_0445 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0445 (Medium).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 1,729
re:

looks pretty similiar. even if he doesn't want to be bothered with the whole frame, he probarly would find the energy to send the qr.

Back