BotM February 2020 nominations - Blue Collar Special

raidan73":2083dq9m said:
If the general consensus is that I shouldn’t bother then so be it.

Dude, the general consensus I'm sure is that you do a great job... personally I love the theme months.
Although I do wonder if more of a heads up might help boost the numbers, perhaps at the start of the month prior? It might also help with defining the criteria before the start of the comp as well.

Re:

I appreciate the efforts of all especially the esteemed organiser. I withdrew as I could see where this was going. Great idea though. Opened up the field. But, one man’s blue is another's white.

Most months deservedly showcase the pinnacle of retro. Nice to see some lower end stuff for a change.

Well I like a good debate so it seems do you guys :facepalm: It's good to get some face time for the massed produced markets as it's all well and good to see the fine exotica that is out there, But BoTM usually says to me look how deep my pockets are and usually with the same ole entrants. Personally a good story and build thread matter more than the bike, as a bike is a bike at the end of the day its the passion that goes into to it that can't be replicated.

kingbling":l5kvqhsy said:
Well I like a good debate so it seems do you guys :facepalm: It's good to get some face time for the massed produced markets as it's all well and good to see the fine exotica that is out there, But BoTM usually says to me look how deep my pockets are and usually with the same ole entrants. Personally a good story and build thread matter more than the bike, as a bike is a bike at the end of the day its the passion that goes into to it that can't be replicated.

I agree....

Now if only all members would join in we could have a mass debate.......... :facepalm:

raidan73":2gg5mt6i said:
One point I would like to make; I appreciate the title ‘blue collar special’ is a little vague and certainly open to debate. I did however try and clarify the remit with examples, in the opening post, of what bikes I deemed acceptable/unacceptable in this instance.
I appreciate that, with theme months especially, you can’t please all of the people all of the time. If, for example, all my bikes were £3000+ garage queens then this month wouldn’t be for me. I probably wouldn’t look twice at it and certainly wouldn’t bother commenting. A few times a year I try and make the competition a little different, just for a change. If the general consensus is that I shouldn’t bother then so be it.

Rather that shit all over your efforts like some lazy posters, here's a few suggestions for next time because like others I think it's a decent theme to have every now and then.

How about the bike has to be mass produced, middle of the manufacturers range or under for the given year and as close to stock as possible. There's enough catalogue material to reference plus it leaves a little wriggle room for some healthy banter.

al-onestare":14f5q9m5 said:
raidan73":14f5q9m5 said:
How about the bike has to be mass produced, middle of the manufacturers range or under for the given year and as close to stock as possible. There's enough catalogue material to reference plus it leaves a little wriggle room for some healthy banter.

Gets my vote

Im not really sure how the suggestion differs from Adrians theme this month. Apart from Adrians wording.

Should a fella who puts in so much effort get flamed, because of peoples misunderstanding of a title.

I thought it was pretty clear, it wasn't political, it wasn't class defining, when discussing old bikes.

NONE of us started life with a C26, we ALL bought an off the peg bike at one point, that wasn't the most expensive in the shop, and thats what this month was about, it wasnt about giving everyone a chance, Not about trying to please everybody regardless of wallet size, but to "Simply show your bike", and your love for it in a thread if you have one.

I'd enter my Kona Fire mountain, but I'm pretty sure, I've entered it in a special month already.

C'mon guys, go to the shed, dust the cobwebs off something you love, and show us some pics :)

Re:

People,

Dont make it harder for people to want to start a thread on topic about there bike either.

I can assure you, im not the longest standing member, but im proud to say, ive been here 10 years, its a "READERS BIKE MTB" thread section, not everyone has the skill set to, take a wreck and refurb every component and photograph and then discuss.

it doesnt matter how you do a thread, build or otherwise, in ten years, some threads, ive simply taken pictures, some threads show the build, some a comparison at similar price points, some from purchase to full strip and restoration, some with an intense amount of history long forgotten, and some with all of the above combined, and some Botm entries and winners with no threads at all.

There is no RHYME or REASON.

BOTM isnt about the thread, the owner, or how fat or skinny his wallet is. Its about a range of bikes to look at, once a month, and having the fun of choosing OUR favourite, based on our personal criteria.

The rest is just semantics.

Back