What length cranks for a fixed gear bike?

flash

Retrobike Rider
I usually ride 165 chainsets on my fixed gear bikes but I've inherited a bike that belonged (and was built) for my Uncle. I know it started out fixed gear but had a SA 4 speed when I got it. I have had a fixed rear wheel built using the same type of hub and rim and want to keep the bike as like it was as possible but it has 170 cranks. Does anyone ride with the longer cranks or is 165 as long as sensible?
Ta...

Re:

That’s what I’m worried about. I don’t go mad but wondered if most peeps go for 165 to avoid the issue..

Re:

Pretty sure the cranks on my fixie are 170mm, it is quite a large frame though.
I know the "general opinion" is apparently to fit shorter cranks eg 165mm to reduce the chances of pedal strikes when cornering or negotiating steep banked velodromes, but my experience is that 170mm makes little difference, I'd say it depends ftom frame to frame. Come to think of it I think the Omniums that came on my track bike are 170mm as well.
I'd always follow the crowd and go for 165 if possible, but 170 is acceptable too imo.

Re:

Traditional fixed gear bikes had gears in the low to mid 60ins, so 165s were great for spinning along at a fair speed.
Today's fixed gear bikes (the ones that are sold new) tend to have gears in the 70s, so there is less emphasis on spinning, but more on pushing, so the longer cranks give better leverage

On a slight tangent, I hate the term fixie, that's a term that has evolved with the hipster-rider

It also depends on the bottom bracket height.
In the 50/60s a road bike was usually 10.5 inches, but with 700 wheels that would be up to 1/4 inch less.
Frames built for fixed use generally 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher.
Design of pedals should be considered.
We normally used 170mm cranks.
Keith

Thanks for that. It has 27" wheels, which I hadn't considered. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test the bike tomorrow....weather permitting

Re:

I ride 170 and 172.5 on my fixed for commuting and Audax have never hit a pedal in a corner. Yet.

Back