Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":tsylau40 said:
Wow what a way to bring in the new year!
Really great scenery and always love Harris and Lewis though my work was always coastal ;)
I suggest Macretro goes back to having an annual big weekend away like we used to to Skye, Torrindon etc and we all head over to Velofrogs neck of the woods. He has already got a great weekends riding for us in just a couple of posts.
For those without vehicles Brian and I could pick three and bikes up comfortably in the van in Inverness.
Just a thought as we barely do Baltic bawbags now let alone the big epics we used to.
Jamie

Yep totally agree about the weekenders, I've persuaded my local buddies to do the Torridon ride this September, I'm insanely unfit just now so will take a while to build to that.

Well after the madness that is the Strathpuffer over and a winter spent relatively quiet bike wise, just doing shortish rides when the opportunity arose whilst moving and sorting a new house, some form of normal came back into view when I managed to get out for a nice quiet couple of hours ride round the coast this Sunday.
Still busy sorting stuff with the new house but nice to get a break in the weather to finally align with the weekend. So the plan was after lunch to get the Jack Taylor out and just go for a ride, nowhere in particular, just see where it goes. It was great to be back on the JT after what seems like ages but has really only been about two months, in which time the Pugsley has been getting a few good outings and a couple on the Trucker with Caleb.
So while I have moved house I haven't moved too far and so the same roads are still local with a few more options available for those days when you only have a few hours.
It was dry though still quite cold and with a breeze making it seem cool as well. There forecast, which has since come true was for gale force winds and heavy rain on Monday, so glad I made the effort when I could.
Anyway, the Super Clubman was a joy to ride as usual.
Hopefully some of you managed to get out as well.

Jamie

Looking down towards home now
IMG_2410 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

The view from the main road. Our house is just to the left out of shot and our local quiet beach is just down the hill, in line behind the power pole
IMG_2416 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2419 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2423 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

To keep Brian happy there was also some off road ;)
IMG_2427 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2436 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2442 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Went out on my trusty old Trek hybrid in the glorious sun. Ten minutes later I had to turn back having just received a message from my mother saying she was calling around to visit. So I rode for 20 minutes but due to my M. E. Playing up that near killed me, enjoyed it though.
On a side note I have acquired the weirdest retro mono wheel bike trailer. The front goes either side of the wheel with fabric panniers and a larger rear compartment all connected to the panniers sits over the rear mono wheel which is recessed within. Rear wheel is tiny and swivels from side to side as you turn and has torsion bar rear suspension. So the trailer does not turn when you corner, its like. A rearward extension of the bike but its wheel turns as you lean into a turn. Bike Station did not know what to do with it so sold it to Mr. Weird aka me for £15. No idea who made it but its go pictures of a kangaroo on either side and WA-WA on the rear which might suggest Western Australia. Thought it might be to do with Aussie postal service but so far no info found. Will get photos up when I get a chance.

At least you got a ride in Velo, well done. It was a glorious day up here today as well.
Will be interested to see this trailer :) What's your plans for it?

Jamie

A very short ride.

I shipped my Australian bike over and it arrived today. Giant Bowery, nothing special about it except it always felt like it climbed like a goat. So now to find out.

Rode up Kinnairdie Brae to the top of Mt Gerald, enough of a climb to know you've done one, but not a monster. Bike whizzed up it even though I'm feeling a bit sluggish from my cake therapy.

Jamie knows what's coming next, the reason I brought it over. I want to try Bealach na Bah on it. A few more weeks to let my ribs settle down for sure, and the first decent weather at the weekend, and I'll give it a go.

Naturally if anyone wants to join us, they're welcome. Singlespeed of course, but we're only doing the climb and then turning right around for the cake shop at the bottom. (Unless I find an interesting off road excursion...)

It will be very short notice though. We want to get it done before the NC500 season kicks off.

Re:

Ah the cake shop at the bottom - approx 10 years ago four of us did the BNB in torrential rain, having intended to do an interesting loop starting from Lochcarron, however turned back at the top as we were utterly saturated and there was no sign of a let up.
Stopped at the cake shop at the bottom, ordered tea and cakes, then they told us to sit outside on the verandah as we were dripping everywhere............so we went to the LC Hotel and got wellied. Happy Days :D

The wee campsite behind the hotel is a fine place too.

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":3upeugda said:
Ah the cake shop at the bottom - approx 10 years ago four of us did the BNB in torrential rain, having intended to do an interesting loop starting from Lochcarron, however turned back at the top as we were utterly saturated and there was no sign of a let up.
Stopped at the cake shop at the bottom, ordered tea and cakes, then they told us to sit outside on the verandah as we were dripping everywhere....
Yes, not a bicycle friendly spot.

But they have cake...

Back