bagpipes

Old School Hero
Has anyone else had issues uploading an avatar? It keeps telling me that it needs to 8kb or less. Anything that small may as well be period or pen dot.

Am I doing something wrong? I just want to upload a pic from my files. I have no idea how to link to a URL .

Cant believe im the eleventh person to view this and the first to answer :oops:
Go to the microsoft powertools website,download the picture resizer tool,its free and very quick to download[secs] and install
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now when you use the right button on ur mouse [or whatever one brings up the menu]there will be a pic resize option on the menu[you have to right click ON a pic for it to highlight that option
The resizer's menu that comes up in a small window gives you 4 options small,med, large and hand held
------------------------------------
There is also an advanced button ,when you click that you now have a further size option called 'custom' that allows you to put in exactly the number of pixels by the number of pixels [ie 189x150 or whatever]
The max avatar size is 100x100,so you choose your pic and using the custom option type in 100x100 and press ok
You should resize BEFORE you choose to upload

Now when you press add attachment up comes a window that will give you a 'browse option ,click it and the window that now opens should be set to wherever you store your pics,->double click the pic of your choice for your avatar ,[that you have already resized]then click the load button
Press the add attachment button again and your done and dusted
All you have to do is submit it when you've finished the written
section
please note the small ,med and large sizes are all within the posted pic size you only need the advanced->custom ->100x100 for avatars
This is what i use and its very user friendly,a hell of a lot easier than all these other programs that have half a dozen toolbars so you need a degree to understand where you start :LOL: :LOL:

Love the name tag,damn you ;) :LOL: :LOL:

or you can use photoshop or other imaging software to save the picture at no more than 100pixels wide or long (leading edge) and 72dpi.

Use the 'Save for web' option and it should be around 8kb. and a gif. if it's 12kb or so, just open it and re size it to slightly less pixels (until you get it at 8kb).

That Microsoft Powertoys thingy works fine with XP, but it doesn't work with Vista at all, so I still can't work out how to upload one of my photos for my avatar!! I've managed to put a clipart up as my pic but I'd still rather have my own photo, instead of someone else's!! Any advice from anyone?

Just microsoft office picture manager....
If you've got office 2003 it comes with it. Click edit photo, go to resize, type in 100x100 pixels, and generally it'll be the right size file ie; less than 8kb to upload as an avatar.

Latest posts

Back