Cracked titanium - Orange Vit T2 seat tube

It's the old style pinch bolt unfortunately but possibly fit a jubilee clip beneath it.

The linked post stated 28.2 in catalogue so maybe the seat tube's been pinched up too much!

I dropped it off at the local place I'd found online. A way bigger operation than I'd expected. Looking at the display cabinets & posters showing what they do in their reception I was actually surprised they be bothered to do a weld on a bike frame. Having been reading up on the subject of Ti welding & having just watched the GCN visit to Moots on youtube they said all the right things when discussing what was needed & were genuinely enthusiastic about the job. They've also made custom ti bike parts for riders before. i left feeling very confident. Here's hoping!

Struggling to find a decent 28.2mm seat tube. I've seen the Orange catalogue now & original seatpost was USE 420mm 25.4mm shimmed to 28.2mm. Silver post shown in brochure.

The seatpost with the bike is a red USE 420 but was sold & measures as 25mm. I'd also seen the bike in different config advertised previously with a different seat-post so high possibility the post is not original to the frame. I'm thinking maybe the shim is original & too big by 0.4mm. For now I'm planning on getting a fresh USE 10cm shim for 25/28.2mm.

Their enthusiasm, coupled with those displays sounds ominous :LOL: :LOL: as in the final bill.

I was looking to have some springs wound to change the rate of an Amp F4 blt I was renovating. Few listings in the yellow pages and general phone about I get the number of a company, and much the same their online reviews were all professional large engineering companies.
I asked for a ball park figure and got about 600 for the two small springs, though I could get the dogs danglies with progressive rates etc.

I thanked them kindly :shock:

Found a small local engineers did the springs for a tenner for the both. :LOL:

Re:

My T2 cracked

had it welded buy one of the guys at work in his lunch break, never cracked since. get it welded and enjoy.

A good welder is a good welder; doesn't have to be in the bike industry. Probably one reason the old Sandviks are so good.

I've had Ti frames welded and repaired by a chap who was simply a lone blacksmith; but a fine
one. Every two years he took a certification test to do emergency welds on grounded aircraft - any metal any shape.

dyna-ti":2fltj5d6 said:
Their enthusiasm, coupled with those displays sounds ominous :LOL: :LOL: as in the final bill.

Roughly £30 compared to £90 the frame builders quoted & no shipping there & back so I guess another £50 saved. He smirked when I told him I'd been quoted £90. Not knocking the frame guys plus proof will be in the pudding!

Woz":i0bv52yh said:
A good welder is a good welder; doesn't have to be in the bike industry. Probably one reason the old Sandviks are so good.

I read on here the T2's were made by Sandvik. This is isn't a weld this time but it does have a previous cracked weld repair on the drive side chain stay/bottom bracket joint. That was repaired by previous owner by some guy who made Ti exhausts for drag bikes.

Looks like the welder who did that repair knows his Ti welding bizness well - very nice job!

Back