Fork choice for Trek 69er SS

neuroportal

Retro Guru
So currently running an Exoctic Carbon. Heavier guy, here, and don't really know my forks but was going to put a wanted ad in for something used that will suit this bike for a heavier rider. Obviously being SS this is mainly for riding trails, not downhill so with that in mind, anyone recommend any used forks that would be ideal for this?

Don't want to change front wheel if I don't have to so want to stay with 9mm QR front.

Thanks for advice.

Yep - it is. There were two forks that came out from what I see. That one you posted was the original and the later one was more traditional.

I have little hope of finding an original fork, but would like something to try out.

I went to a Single Speed Championship about the time they were new. The tradition at such events is to pile all the bikes of the same type together so that after the Le Mans style start the riders had to untangle their bikes before commencing to "race" inverted commas because SS Champs are more of a wild party with a race involved somewhere. One year all the On-One Inbreds were piled high, another it was Surly Karate Monkey's and another those Trek 69ers. I think since SS is a bit anti-establishment anyone buying mass produced single speed bikes tends to attract a degree of p*** taking, especially if they are a bit pricey too :LOL: .

I can see the anti-establishment thing. But I also think it is a philosophy. I have ridden SS off road for years, I first tried it in '95 after reading an MBUK article, and got my uncle to fashion a chain tensioning device, similar to what the singulator is now, to use it in my Marin Muirwoods frame. We will gloss over the broken collarbone because of the first version not being suitable and me on the power stroke when the chain slipped...

Riding SS off road, I can't deny there is an element of F U when dealing with stuff. But I love the simplicity.

I wonder if I could do without a suspension fork if I fitted a 27.5+ in the front...That may reduce the pummelling I get.

Re:

Or go even more extreme and fit a 26 x 4" or greater fat bike wheel. Admittedly you need a fat bike fork but they are much more common than they used to be..........in fact I have a Surly Moonlander fork with uncut steerer currently surplus (unashamed sales patter) ;)

Back