Kona Kyber?? What Kona is this?

Righty-ho, glad unkleGsif reminded us of his tasty Kilauea.

Latest insight on badface:

I used to have one of these so here is my two cents worth. Bought mine in Whistler and it was indeed an ex rental fleet bike from the Glacier Shop (Whistler/Blackcomb retailer). Late 90's sounds about right. Double butted cromoly frame, Ritchey drop outs, double butted P2. Glow in the dark decals! I messaged Joe at Kona in 2013 and he told me they don't have info on it but it was likely a juvenile bike made for the Russian market. I'm not entirely convinced by that explanation personally.

That's not the first time I've read this sort of theory either.

Thread here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/steelko ... on_generic

Some more pictures of the Kyber. On the thread on FB, the following comment was made: "That’s a special edition frame ( whistler blackcomb bike )"

XaVjm3.jpg

7mVrX8.jpg

vPGyUx.jpg

m9dunZ.jpg

xpE4xu.jpg

nvOkVG.jpg

which got me digging and sure enough under the Waverley Cycles account is another Kyber with a comment from that account saying "Another survivor". So, these, it appears were rental/fleet bikes for resorts and companies around North America.

Gnsyjd.jpg

In true Kona curve-ball style, the owner of the Kyber pictured at the top is based in Thailand...so how did one end up there?

al-onestare":f2skbfp8 said:
Righty-ho, glad unkleGsif reminded us of his tasty Kilauea.

Sadly tho, despite its qualifications - steel, DB, vbrake, Ritchey d/outs etc, being a 2001 it doesnt qualify into the hallowed halls of =>97 :( :LOL:

With the exception of the wheels, and mismatched stem/seatpost, those new images look like its a proper nice bike

G

I wish we could see the seat-tube decal. My betting it's "chromoly" of some kind - one of the last "normal" steel frames and with those lovely drop-outs.

Didnt kona make a full sus bike just for rental/bike park duty also? vague memories of them.

Kona Kyber was double butted chromoly and had glow in the dark decals as mentioned in the quote taken from FB above. I used to have one of these and can confirm they were used as Whistler/Blackcomb rental bikes, mine was an ex rental which still had the name of the bike shop on it. I'm not sure if that is the only place they were available but Kona world didn't have any recollection of them when I asked years ago. Kona did make a few bikes using Whistler related names, I can recall the "Fissile" which is a local mountain peak, and the "Joyride" which is a trail in the bike park. Both those bikes were full sus. The Kyber could well have been named for "Khyber pass" which is another ski/bike area on Whistler mountain. If someone sends me a PM with an email address I can send pics of these bikes as I happen to have a few. Hope that helps.

Back