Brands we never see on RB?

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
In the virally induced catatonic state I have been in since Boxing Day I have occasionally found my thoughts actually veering towards cycling in all its facets. One theme that popped up was that of frame and bike brands that, despite being seemingly popular in their day, have not (in my memory anyway) appeared on RB. I'm going to list some of them below. Many were frequent advertisers in Cycling and Sporting Cyclist magazines so there should be a reasonable number of their bikes 'out there' somewhere.

Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Many local club cyclists rode them
Sid Mottram, Leicester. Lots of ads in SC.
Henry Holmes of Sheffield and Rotherham. I think there were possibly 3 shops at one time and they had a team of independents racing for them
Temple Cycles of York. Again ran a team of independents with some well known names amongst them.
Uppadine of Doncaster. Frequent ads in SC and a big shop.
Fred Dean. Ran an independent team for many years.
Cyril Wren, Kingston-on-Thames. Frequent advertiser in SC offering re-sprays etc.
Mal Rees. Ridden by many top riders BITD.
Johnny Kay, Lancashire. Advertised 6 3/4 lb frames in the small ads in Cycling.
Wilsons of Birmingham. Lots of ads in SC for frames and clothing and a team of successful independents.

I am sure there are many more - I can think of several - so does anyone else have any names to add?

Re:

I would add to brands we never see: brands we rarely see -

Bill Philbrook - unheard of by most but leading builder of the finest frames
Hobbs of Barbican - early innovator of fine lugs and bright colours
Roberts/Geoff Roberts - innovators, perfectionists, builders to professionals and Olympians alike, ran pro team
Allin - Peter Cobb, superb largely forgotten builder, famous professional son
Higgins - engineers above all
Major Brothers - touring bicycle innovators - largely forgotten
Geoffrey Butler - very famous shop, pro team, their best frames built by Roberts & Shrubb
Cliff Shrubb - record breaking bike builder
Ron Cooper - Like Bill Philbrook (whom he admired) a leading builder

Rk.

N.B mind you these makes might date me !!!

Re:

Here is a picture of a Fred Dean I had for a short time back in 2009 .
Fred Dean by rebalrid, on Flickr

At a Vcc show a couple of years ago I saw this nice Johnny Berry
Johnny Berry by rebalrid, on Flickr

And a lovely Johnnny Kay at the same venue

Johnny Kay by
rebalrid, on Flickr

And finally a James Harrison .
James Harrison. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Another rare machine I had for a short while was an Andy Parker {Preston Lancs}

I also meant to include Edisons of Clowne, a small builder with a very good reputation. I've also come across Jim Broome of Salford in SC ads from early 60's.

Re:

Few more names of frame builds spring to mind.
Langsett of sheffield .
Alwin Smith of Derby . {I think I have splet his first name right?}
Joe Cook{ Imperial Petrel} of Birmingham .If anyone has a Jug frame in 23 1/2 let me know!.
P T Stallard .

I think some of the brands mentioned have appeared here at some time but nowhere near all of them.

Another few I've discovered and remembered -

Sid Standard, Nottingham. A quite prolific builder I believe but the only ones I can remember seeing is when I went to the shop in the 80's.
Columbia and Ronson from South Yorks in the 80's. Ex Carlton builders?

Back