West Coast Racing - KAMIKAZE

Re:

You didn't happen to buy this from a guy called Rod or Roddy did you - just saying you picked it up in Glasgow punched back a big memory

I remember back in 91/92 a guy where I lived (in Edinburgh) had something very similar (always assumed it was a Funk) with the 3 holes in the drop out and a fat framed alu e-stay, he would let me raq it around in the streets (he would ride his MX bike and me on the mystery bike)

I have had thoughts about knocking his parents door (they still live in the same place) and asking what happened to him and the bike but it was 30 years ago

Not 100% sure its the same but it looks very very similar

Re:

Love this story, just keeps getting better! :cool:

I’d polish it, give it a fresh start and make those new decals pop.

RB gold - cap doffed. A great story with a quality, hen's teeth find. Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Re: Re:

boxxer":rqobwmbs said:
You didn't happen to buy this from a guy called Rod or Roddy did you - just saying you picked it up in Glasgow punched back a big memory

The chaps name is Geoff, I contacted him last week to tell him I’d discovered it’s origin (he couldn’t remember) and it brought back some memories! He ordered it without the decals as he didn’t like them!

velofrog":2qvlfh5h said:
Love this story, just keeps getting better! :cool:

I’d polish it, give it a fresh start and make those new decals pop.

Thanks, it’s been quite an exciting process, uncovering the story behind the bike and it’s history. I think I’ll polish it and probably have the decals replicated and fit them. Although it didn’t have them from new so I’m not decided!

al-onestare":t2ony56u said:
RB gold - cap doffed. A great story with a quality, hen's teeth find. Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Thank you. I love bikes from this era of Mtb history, there was so much experimentation and development going on! West Coast Racing had Full order book following the MBUK piece, they might still be making bikes if Easton hadn’t been so unhelpful!

1552":2asv2a2l said:
That's an amazing story and so cool you have found what could be the last known one, guess it makes it way more rare than an old Yeti c26 or the like :)

How come the literature states 6061 with heat treatment but the builder states different? Was this a lady minute change of material usage?

This would be awesome with a mix of Brit components and boutique from the USofA.

Really interested to see how you progress with this.

There is some interesting builds popping up at the mo.
:)

I suppose it is rarer then a C-26, perhaps not quite as prestigious though!

Re the discrepancies with the grade of aluminium and the heat treating process, I think this was just due to the fact that the project was in its infancy when the documentation was produced. The problems they had with heat treating (frames warping and melting) didn’t really get resolved. I’m sure that if Dale hadn’t got the opportunity to follow his dreams in the states, he’d have sorted the problems and carried on building bikes. He’s back in Cornwall now and still building things, but choppers and hot rods now!

Agreed re the interesting builds at the moment, some special bikes coming out of the woodwork.

Re:

I got the Autosol out and gave the frame a quick polish, it came out really nice, could definitely be better with a mop an lots more elbow grease but it’ll do for now. I’m going to build it up and see how it looks...

...and a splash of colour!

Attachments

• B24C787D-C9DC-464F-96D7-82864C0F1F21.jpeg
    B24C787D-C9DC-464F-96D7-82864C0F1F21.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 297
  • F1A1467F-726C-49E6-9779-4B5FC4BE9EBC.jpeg
    F1A1467F-726C-49E6-9779-4B5FC4BE9EBC.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 6FCD9C57-667B-4CC8-A956-00646D8C2D66.jpeg
    6FCD9C57-667B-4CC8-A956-00646D8C2D66.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 294
Re:

1978":2pes8yuv said:
I got the Autosol out and gave the frame a quick polish, it came out really nice, could definitely be better with a mop an lots more elbow grease but it’ll do for now. I’m going to build it up and see how it looks...

Looks great. Should be a great build with the direction you're going in already
You going with the original Kamikaze decals?

Watching with interest
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":2cn503vo said:
Looks great. Should be a great build with the direction you're going in already
You going with the original Kamikaze decals?

Sorry, I didn’t spot your reply til now!

To be honest I’m not really sure what direction to go. I have a few XT m730 groupsets, both black and silver versions, at the moment I’m thinking of going with one of those with a few period neon touches to match the decals....

We’ll see, I’m struggling to find a seatpost right now.

Back