Ron cooper page

Re: Re:

Peter Charlton":xz8lwp0y said:
Cheers, maybe now I have retired I should dig it out of the shed and restore the rest of it, frame wont need anything but the rest of it will.
You've said it now, so you have to do it.... go on, you know you want to.

Plus one":2uwqltuc said:
Please post your pics of your Ron cooper here.. Doesn't matter if you still own it or not.. Would be great
To see them..

With the passing of the man it would be nice as a small reminder of the beauty of his work..

A 1952 A S Gillott...

Built by Ron Cooper in 1952. Ron would have been 20 years old and just out of his apprenticship when he built this frame. It's built up as a retro modern and has 1485 miles on her earlier this year.

A couple of years later and another Ron Cooper 1954 Gillott frame, still waiting to be restored/renovated, the frame has an interesting backstory, documented in real time on this forum. It was previously owned by 1936 Olympic Bronze pursuit medallist Harry Hill.

Attachments

• 52 Gillott front-512.jpg
    52 Gillott front-512.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 996
  • Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 996
I've posted mine before in another thread but here it is again. Circa 1990, mint Shimano 600 tricolor groupset. The frame was in pretty rough cosmetic condition, with a bent rear mech hanger, and was originally branded both Ron Cooper and Ridge Racing (a former bike shop in Bournemouth). Argos straightened it and refinished it in flam orange. I rebuilt the wheels with butted spokes because they were plain gauge (traditional for racing in the early 90s) and the finishing kit is new. I tracked down an original mint 600 cup-and-cone bottom bracket because it came with a completely worn-out cartridge unit. The Dura-Ace headset has now been replaced with a Tange Falcon cartridge headset, which is just as nice to look at but works a whole lot better.

I've never worked out why the groupset is so unmarked yet the frame was so rough. I can only assume it was taken off and stored for many years, while the frame was thrashed with different kit fitted. Maybe it was upgraded to 8- or 9-speed very early on.

The Cooper fork bend is very distinctive and it has the Cooper pantographed rear brake bridge. It's mostly Columbus SL. Ron didn't often use tubing stickers, as he mixed and matched as he saw fit.

20170907_173120 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Built this up in 2017

Quick edit this was from the the eBay description :

Here we have a new old stock classic road race frame, liveried as a 'F'light' (this was a brand from the shop Fairlight cycles in Devon).
The frame was built by legendary builder Ron Cooper and purchased with several other 'stock' frames by me from Ron in around 2006. It was painted metallic pink by colourtech which was next to Rons workshop.
It is 51cm from centre of Bottom bracket to top of seat tube and is made from Columbus sl tubing.
It is beautifully fillet brazed and has a BBB seatpost and a Shimano 105 headset included. 38" short wheelbase.
The paint on the top tube is slightly rough and there is a very tiny dent that is hard to photograph- you need to run your finger over it to really notice. This could easily be remedied if it was re-finished. There is a small chip on the down tube that has been touched in.
It is conventional geometry with horizontal top tube. It is close clearances with no provision for mudguards. It has all the usual braze ons inc. front mech boss and english thread bottom bracket obviously. 1" threaded fork. Rear end width is 130mm.

Attachments

• Ron Cooper.jpg
    Ron Cooper.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 849
Re:

So I did dig the old Ron Cooper out of the shed, frame number 555.
This is after a wash, I have since polished the alloy and got rid of the rust on some of the Campagnolo parts, rather thick chrome for an Italian product, but the spokes and pedals were too far gone.
Whilst its tempting to restore it, I cannot afford to do such a thing now, besides, seeing an old vehicle that looks like an old vehicle can also be a treat. I kick myself that I just left it in the shed for decades without even covering it in WD40 though.
Less chance of it being nicked as well if it looks tatty.

So I took just the back wheel down to Geofrey Butlers to get new tyres and tubes, and also to see if they could provide a wider ratio block as I no longer have the legs for a racing block.
The fella was rather enthused just to see the back wheel with its Campag hub and Super Champion rim, he would love to see the rest of the bike, maybe when I can climb over Gravel Hill!

So I even went out on it last summer, even just wearing jeans and a tee shirt, a proper cyclist coming the other way gave me a nod and a wave.

So I have bought a little place in Spain to spend a few months now and then, as public transport is rather lacking, and I don't have a car over there, so I bought a mountain bike. Quite pleased that even at my age I have soon worked up to three hour journeys, so when I got back, I was initially determined to keep my fitness, but the endless rain and so much traffic has seen the Ron Cooper safely tucked up in my front room where it now lives!

Attachments

• DSC01892.jpgsmall.jpg
    DSC01892.jpgsmall.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 653
Reactions: ORS
Re:

New Tyres, as polished as the rusty bits will allow, even replaced the saddle that had cracked.

Attachments

• DSC02692.ajpg.jpg
    DSC02692.ajpg.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 611
Re:

The perks of having your dad working with Ron Cooper at Edwardes of Camberwell in the 1970's ...your very own custom fixie ...here in Stratford not far from the now Olympic park area ... still have the frame ...

Attachments

• 5004_96528467389_3487592_n.jpg
    5004_96528467389_3487592_n.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 329
  • 5004_96528477389_4811695_n.jpg
    5004_96528477389_4811695_n.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 329
Re: Re:

zavodmiru":2zv5rnq6 said:
The perks of having your dad working with Ron Cooper at Edwardes of Camberwell in the 1970's ...your very own custom fixie ...here in Stratford not far from the now Olympic park area ... still have the frame ...

Great photos, Can we see some of the frame now?

Re:

Absolutely stunning. What an amazing piece of history.
Brilliant that you still have it, but if you would part with it I could have a father & son matching pair of Coopers!

Latest posts

Back