English Cycles and Jeremy Torr

GrahamJohnWallace

Retrobike Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
Jeremy Torr and his English Cycles company made the frames for Geoff Apps Cleland Aventura mountain bikes from about 1982. Does anyone have information or pictures about English Cycles and their bikes?

I went on a frame building course with Jeremy bitd at his place in Telford. It was just as the Reynolds 531 ATB tube set came out with which I built a lugless frame with lots of custom ideas of the day. The course was advertised under the name BikeBreaks and I have some details somewhere which may include some of the English Cycles guff. I will see if I can find it ;)

English Cycles guff

That would be great. I know lots about the hub brake based frames he built for Geoff Apps' Cleland Cycles. I own one of them. However, I know very little about Jeremy's own bikes exept that he called them Range Riders and that some were fitted with cantilever brakes. I wonder how many he made?

Jeremy Torr & English Cycles

Jeremy also made bicycles, or at least frames, for Greg Oxenholme of Bike UK. Greg was much less discreet about Jeremy's rather charming cavalier attitude to things like dimensions, angles, brazings etc. Jeremy, with whom I had some great times, was not the world's best frame builder, but he was one of the VERY few who would build me a frame with ... wait for it ... a sloping top tube!

Indeed welcome Geoff, not spoken to you since the early Wendover bash events bitd. What actually happened to Jeremy, We heard rumours of him leaving for Australia a good while back?

Hello ~

Yes, he dissappeared without trace.
Perhaps he should be Googled.
Rumour also has it that a very angry Greg Oxenholme, not a man to be messed with, was one of the reasons he disappeared.
See also thread titled "Jack Taylor off-road bicycle" ... or something like that.

~ Cheers

Jeremy is a magazine editor in Singapore.
Greg Oxenham returned to Australia wand was last seen on a beach.

Back