Show us what you did today, thread

Up there, weather is always guaranteed. It's the type that varies. When we decided on Aultnabreac a month or so back, I was hoping for a few feet of snow to play in.

But thanks to roadies using CO2 canisters and causing Global Warming, our snow was warmed up to a balmy 2ºC and fell as rain. Bloody roadies!

It was not Shakespeare's "Gentle rain that falleth...", it was the more robust wind assisted Scottish version, but it could have been much worse.

There was a solid line of black on the horizon coming rapidly towards us and darkening the sky, but we were back at the van before it caught us and before Jamie's bike disintegrated (never mind self-ejecting brake pads, just don't ask him about spring links :) ). It caught up with me on the drive back south...

However can't complain, it was fun as usual, and when you consider the latitude is north of Moscow, Juneau in Alaska, or almost the same as the southern tip of Greenland, the weather was kind.

The track was heavily potholed, the sort of thing that can make a ride a misery, but with fatbikes it is all part of the fun, and we got no wetter than we would have anyway.

I'll remember this as the Splish Splash We Had a Bath GFBD.

Re:

Well done guys.
Working yesterday and up early with the wee man today to give Sharron a long lie, so no riding for me this weekend.

Some more pics from GFBD at Aultnabreac.

It was so dark most of the pics were blurred or grainy, so although I took quite a few, not many came out ok.

Re:

Christened the new ride today with a drive out to Sron Uladail in Harris. :xmas-big-grin:

from Walk Highlands:
"Sron Uladal (or Strone Ulladale, as it is known to many) is a magnificent overhanging cliff hidden in a very remote location in the Harris hills. The cliff has been claimed as the finest inland precipice in the UK and was made famous by the Great Climb live broadcast on BBC Scotland. This wild location is reached by a good stalkers' path."

Videos of the ride out and back are available on Youtube (not by me I hasten to add!)

Was a great ride, although much windier than it was at home in Stornoway when I left!

The photos don't really do the cliff justice, it's fecking enormous, other braver humans base-jump from the summit! :facepalm:

From doing basically zero cycling it was definitely too much for a first ride... the climb (walk) back up what had been the fast and steep descent was really hard going. :oops:

I loved it though, the scenery was epic and the bike performed faultlessly.

Here are a few pics of the day. :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• su7.jpeg
    su7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 350
  • su6.jpeg
    su6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 350
  • su5.jpeg
    su5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
  • su4.jpeg
    su4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 350
  • su3.jpeg
    su3.jpeg
  • su2.jpeg
    su2.jpeg
  • su1.jpeg
    su1.jpeg
Re:

There was some amazingly smooth rock (Lewisian Gneiss), caused by glacial erosion, back from around when Brian was born. :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• su13.jpeg
    su13.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 349
  • su12.jpeg
    su12.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 349
  • su11.jpeg
    su11.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 349
  • su10.jpeg
    su10.jpeg