Warning modern content.....

s_zigmond

Senior Retro Guru
My mate is looking at buying a new bike on the bike to work thingy. Ideally he is after a front suspension bike with lock out? Other than Cannondale (I presume theirs can still be locked out) who else make forks with this feature?

Its so long since i looked at modern mountain bikes i have no idea whats out there.

Cheers in advance

Stephen

All the large manufacturers make suspension forks with a lock out. Generally on the higher end stuff, but my mate recently bought a new Kona for £650 and it had a pair of Rock Shox on that have a lock out, so I'm assuming this is the price point at which they start to appear.

Lockout forks are now throughout most manufacturers full range, eg 2009 Rockshox Tora SL, £109.95 from Merlincycles.co.uk ( http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18 )

spec of the Tora SL is

Travel 100mm
Weight - 2162g (4.77 lb)
Spring - Coil
Spring Adjust - Preload
Damping - TurnKey Lockout
Damping Adjust - External rebound and TurnKey lockout
Lowers - Magnesium, IS disc mount
Crown - Forged 6061 T-6 hollow aluminum
Steerer Tube - 4130 steel 1 1/8
Upper Tubes - 32mm, 4130 tapered wall steel, chrome
Colour - Black
Recommended Max Rotor Size 210mm

s_zigmond, how much does your mate want to spend on a modern bike with a lockout fork & what sort of riding does he do/want to do.

Over 4.5lbs for a pair of forks!!!! Thats heavier than my fs frame :shock:

MJN":1sqopcjp said:
Over 4.5lbs for a pair of forks!!!! Thats heavier than my fs frame :shock:
They are low end forks, but even spending £400 will only just get you under 4lbs for a modern set of sus forks.

My FS frame (& shock) is 6.6lbs, the forks are 4lb (frame £1099, forks £400)

Fair dues,just noticed the price,latest Scott Spark team issue,including seatmast;4.2lbs and £2000 :oops:

Cheers for all your replys.

He is wanting to spend aroung the £600 mark. He wants to do some off roading (only X country) but wants to have a second set of wheels\tyres for road use hence the ability to lock the fork out

does he have space for 2 bikes ?

id get an old kona for about £200 ( doesnt have to be a kona . specialized , gt , etc )

and £400 will get an old roadie , plus water bottle , lights , waterproof top , gloves etc

That was my sugestion, but he wants to use the cycle to work thing so it has to be new and from Halfrauds. (though i understand they can get you any new bike you want)

Back