** Enigma Ego Ti 29er **

Re:

Have come to the conclusion that the gold chainring just doesn’t work... it’s too ‘bling’. Looks nice on the cranks but doesn’t suit the build.

I have managed to track down a suitable replacement though! :xmas-wink:

Re:

Had been mulling over some shiny new pedals, but the old 959's are still widely regarded as the most reliable SPD pedals made, some of the newer versions suffering from broken axle ends etc.

So, while awaiting arrival of the new chainring, I decided to give my old pedals a deep clean.

They've come up really well considering how old they are, and the colour actually blends with all the titanium perfectly! :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• spud2.jpeg
    spud2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,405
  • spud1.jpeg
    spud1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,405
  • spud.jpeg
    spud.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,403
Re:

Went to fit the chainring properly this morning with a torque wrench and copper grease... and promptly snapped the heads off two of the ti bolts!! :facepalm:

Luckily the broken ends came out easily with my fingers, so not a catastrophe.

i've seen snapped bolts on a few of those cranksets, you're lucky you could extract yours. i'd replace the titanium bolts with steel.

cane creek say on their own website that the skf mtrx bearings in their bottom bracket are not user replaceable. given the cost I found that a little off putting. hope use the same size bearings in their bottom bracket, which is designed to have user replaceable bearings, they're are available at r2bike.

Re:

New revised bolts with more material on the head are being posted out today.

Cane Creek have been very helpful, no quibbles or issues and nice to deal with.

In a strange quirk of fate the Technical Supervisor at Extra who has been dealing with me via email is the guy I bought the frame from! :xmas-cool:

Re:

:shock: real run of bad sh1t there...
stick with it, sure it will pan out all ok in the end. I've just installed the Hellbender BB to the Yeti. Noticeable more drag over the Hope bearings, but I expect that to be the encased bearings system. My hand 'freewheeling test' has the same drag as say a new CK hub. I'm not fussed about the drag as i hope it will bed in, and the BB bearings lubricate themselves in motion. The Hope pressfit bearings are noticeably frictionless to the hand. Chris King would have you pay handsomely for the ceramic tech :LOL:
eeWings ... I love them.

ykwtURc.jpg

Re:

I wouldn’t be trusting anything they sent me. Replace then with steel bolts. Much safer and the weight difference of bugger all.
Always slightly dubious about ti bolts in ti threads anyway.

Back