Hell of the North Cotswolds 2009?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I know its VERY early but who has this in there diary ?

How does it compare to say the Wobble?

Did HoNC last year in very sticky, gloopy mud. 100k took me 7 hours and 18 minutes which wasn't too bad a time considering the conditions and the fact that I'd been ill with a kidney infection. One mechanical failure when the braking surface of one of my front brake pads parted company on a descent :shock: , I had to stop - eventually... (pulling the lever to the bar!) and swap the pads from the rear to the front. The halfway food stop was more than welcome, I gorged myself on cake, bananas and bread pudding for 20 mins!

Apparently there were numerous mechanical failures due to the mud, mostly rear mech's. They reckoned it had been the worst conditions for years and I didn't think I'd want to do it again after that, but I'm starting to think about maybe doing it again...

I've ridden it sporadically since it started but have done it every year for the past three years and will do it next year.

It is a tough ride when conditions are bad but get a good day and its a lovely few hours on the bike.

Last year was really tough. It took just under 8 hrs I think all in with punctures, snacks, chat etc. Yes, the cake stop was good.
Thankfully I actually had the right tyres on :)

There will be a big retro contingent in 2009 for sure. Key thing to bear in mind is that this event is really quite hard and will take all day!

Russell have you still got the route maps that you posted last year?

Its only down the road thought I might go and have a mooch but could do with it in larger format? :D

Had a go for the first time last year and will definitely be back for 2009.

As others have said, this is a tough event, even the 'shorter' 50 km course. Equally though it's not quite as hard as it sounds as there are some shortish road sections and you can decide which route to do once you have already been going for a while. There are also numerous short cut options that you can take if you are tired/time running short/mechanical fairy attacks.

As a clincher, the bread pudding is superb!

Back