Bowed top tube

The paint is off in two strategic places - the top tube bow and the down tube - possibly a bend there too since older Mercian paint is quite brittle. I ride a Cannondale with a nasty ding in one seatstay, but take the risk. I would ride a bike with a small dent in the tt, but I am afraid you have a bike with a much more serious issue. Both main tubes have been stressed. I would get both tubes replaced. I regret that in your case the risk total failure of the frame is increased - by how much? Don’t know. But it’s significant damage and while I would ride this to the shops, I wouldn’t ride it down Winnat’s Pass.

Re:

Ok with regards to the paint, I have rubbed it down with sandpaper at these points due to some rust spots.

could be the result of an accident where the rider ended up sitting on the top tube or someone getting a ride as a passenger, sitting on the tube. unless the tube is kinked anywhere it should be fine strength wise.

Hmmmm - thanks re rubbing down info - but then why rust spots? Possibly because paint was cracked in those areas? Classic points of bending to a frame from a frontal crash. But it will have slackened the head angle nicely....better on downhills. Obviously the tubes are not grossly kinked, and that’s a good thing. But I certainly would discuss it with a framebuilder....

Re:

Yeah I get the idea that this bike has been left outside in the elements quite a bit in it's lifetime, hence the many rust spots across the frame. There is no creasing or denting of any kind to suggest a front end crash and the forks are straight. Original fork stamped with same frame number as bb shell.

That’s interesting....indeed eliminates big front ender, which is good. Possibly an Incident in storage with something heavy coming into contact with tt - maybe weighting it up rather than whanging it....

Re:

Yeah I suppose that is a possibility. The top tube cable guides aren't squashed or damaged either so if that was the case it would have been in between these.

Back