Re: Re:

Retro Spud":dnwfng6e said:
Stylus":dnwfng6e said:
Holy sh!t dude, off the charts cool :shock: :cool: :cool:

and BoTM winner now !

:xmas-big-grin:
Seriously chuffed! Really grateful for all the support and votes.

I have further plans for this C-26 which I'm going to partially strip after Christmas and swap out almost all of it in an attempt to get it close to the 23.5lb weight stated by MBA mag in their article on the C-26 prototype. I joked that they must've used journalistic licence on that weight claim, but JP retorted that 23.5lb was accurate and they (YETI) measured it on a calibrated Los Angeles country scale.

With that said, and if my interpretation of the BOTM rules is right, I should be able to enter it in BOTM again, with a possibly of it winning BOTM twice. :cool: I'll swap the forks, stem, bars, chainset, wheels and, if I can find some, tires. Here comes C-26 v2.0 :cool:

Attachments

• JP weight quote.jpg
    JP weight quote.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,146
  • BOTM results.jpg
    BOTM results.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,147
thekidmalone [b:77vo8dd7 said:
VIA FACEBOOK[/b]":77vo8dd7] Did you impose the three following conditions on your build to increase the degree of difficulty for BOTM victory to never before seen levels?
1) The grip and saddle colors can‘t match
2) The stem and seat post colors can’t match
3) The front and rear rim colors can‘t match
I kid, I kid, congratulations, Reg. :)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

haha! Those are all valid points (well, the opposites of). But I listed it as a ‘team homage’ and back then the team would fit whatever they had one hand, plenty of photos of Team C-26 bikes with this exact configuration, strange though it may seem. The white Turbo is a common feature of many Yeti team bikes. As is the Deore XT seat post with a silver A•TAC stem. Although the different color front wheel is due to me not getting the correct black XT hub in time to build onto the matching black Mavic rim for the rear disc wheel. Still, team spec no doubt :p

regan_ev":36eeug0v said:
I have further plans for this C-26 which I'm going to partially strip after Christmas and swap out almost all of it in an attempt to get it close to the 23.5lb weight stated by MBA mag
With that said, and if my interpretation of the BOTM rules is right, I should be able to enter it in BOTM again, with a possibly of it winning BOTM twice. :cool: I'll swap the forks, stem, bars, chainset, wheels and, if I can find some, tires. Here comes C-26 v2.0 :cool:

Any idea what the spec of the changed parts needs to be? does the article in the mag go in to detail? I reckon you could get the weight down further if you use smaller chainrings than those shown in the pic!

On the BOTM rules - I read it that now you have won you can't enter it again (rule 15.1.), or are you saying that because the spec will have changed it'll be a different enough bike?

Once A Hero":1apgascz said:
Any idea what the spec of the changed parts needs to be? does the article in the mag go in to detail? I reckon you could get the weight down further if you use smaller chainrings than those shown in the pic!

On the BOTM rules - I read it that now you have won you can't enter it again (rule 15.1.), or are you saying that because the spec will have changed it'll be a different enough bike?
I don't have an itemised list but I could probably get it. Martin at Second Spin Cycles is planning a full replica build of the prototype C-26, so I won't be attempting that, just seeing if I can put mine on a diet, for the fun of it. (I'll probably restore it to the spec here if I take it to Mayhem though.)
I think the C-26 proto used a Campy drivetrain (not impossible to find but I don't like it and don't see the point but I can look up the weights for comparison)
with Shimano M730 cantis (I have)
Bullseye cranks (I have, not sure what rings, maybe Campy, maybe Sugino)
Bullseye hubs, not sure what cassette (I have a Bully front, probably keep Shimano rear)
Bontrager rims (I presume MA40 rolled by Keith but not sure, and not bothered, because finding a set of those will be tough so I'll probably go with Araya RM20 which are light enough and period correct)
Ti spokes (hmm, doubt I'll find those so will search for the lightest SS)
Yeti fork (I have)
HyperLITE bars [unbranded/labelled as EASTON] (I have)
FTW alloy clamp-on stem (I have an FTW steel quill - close, but no cigar :LOL:)
Specialized Ground Control tires with lightweight 700C tubes (interesting choice on tubes but I'll never find those tires so I'll need to see what else I can locate)
Unknown BB (maybe a Phil Wood?)
CK headset (I have one)
Turbo saddle (yes!)
IRD seatpost I think? Not sure. Needs some investigating or simply source a suitable alternative to the porky XT one installed now.

So it'll make for another interesting build I'm sure. And I think it could be re-entered into a future BOTM for the reason you highlighted. (I'm sure that I read about it somewhere on this forum before, when someone's bike was pipped by a vote in BOTM and someone (maybe a mod ?) said a different build would make it eligible to re-enter). If not, it's really no big deal, and I'd hate to deny someone else the chance to get the coveted title so maybe I won't proceed with that idea now I'm thinking more as I type this!

I've also been asked to feature the bike in a YouTube video by Joe's Bikes, which requires a strip down, so maybe that's the perfect excuse to swap stuff out. I'm also going to take it for a spin soon, it's a garage queen but not NOS, so I'm not bothered by getting it dirty or wet. Watch this space...

That video sounds good, pity you didnt video it during the original build but its not really a big job stripping it and rebuilding i suppose.

I think if enough parts are changed the bike can be entered again, not sure if someone else has to own the bike though, easy enough, just send it me as a christmas pressie and i will put some other parts on, the thread probably wont be as good as yours though :xmas-big-grin:

mk one":11o8vdf8 said:
That video sounds good, pity you didnt video it during the original build but its not really a big job stripping it and rebuilding i suppose.

I think if enough parts are changed the bike can be entered again, not sure if someone else has to own the bike though, easy enough, just send it me as a christmas pressie and i will put some other parts on, the thread probably wont be as good as yours though :xmas-big-grin:
Ahh I did shoot some of it being built as a time lapse on my GoPro :facepalm: Up until the fork steerer went in then I forgot to continue, so haven't bothered editing it. I'll have to look at the footage.

Sure, what's your address? :xmas-wink:

mk one":13fn5dop said:
I think if enough parts are changed the bike can be entered again, not sure if someone else has to own the bike though, easy enough, just send it me as a christmas pressie and i will put some other parts on.....

I think thats an excellent idea, we should all take a turn! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :xmas-big-grin:

Once A Hero":1xn9hdb0 said:
regan_ev":1xn9hdb0 said:
Specialized Ground Control tires with lightweight 700C tubes (interesting choice on tubes but I'll never find those tires so I'll need to see what else I can locate)

I've got some rough ones on my Pace, which if you want to borrow for the purpose of weighing, then I'm sure we can arrange something.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397696&start=20
Very kind, but I can look up their weights for calculations. However, if you know for a mint set, yellow labels, I'd fit them and keep them. :cool:

Back