Possibly not for me

chin up fella. its definately not all about the looks, although it is a bit of a bummer when you do your best and dont like it. someone suggested on your other thread sticking some decals on the frame. do it. it'll break the colour up a treat and make the bike look totally different.

dont get rid of it. keep it, ride it. love it

spudgun":2g03z9ei said:
You seem well depressed mate.Maybe more time on the trails and less time thinking is best at present.
Thanks Spud ,your very observant,it was just the fact it didnt look right ,to me as a designer it has to look right,
Iknow as Jez says that falling into the trap of throwing bling at it is a waste of time and resources,looks like i tumbled in :LOL: :LOL: ,yeah the word mish-mash rings a bell :LOL: :LOL:
I'm going to put the cooks on ebay for a ton start , i need to be sure of selling at that minimum,i know they will anyway but i have to be sure
Then use that to fund either an XTR crank or a polished syncros[sorry jez i saw yours but couldnt decide] then finish off the rest of the running gear with XTR
I've had a suggestion that i strip back to the bare Ti,seems a good idea ,but once the crank is sorted out i'll look at it again
-----------
Anyone got a spare syncros crank kicking about? :D
-----------
Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions ,there were plenty that i hadnt even thought of

dyna-ti":gl6gvgca said:
spudgun":gl6gvgca said:
You seem well depressed mate.Maybe more time on the trails and less time thinking is best at present.
Thanks Spud ,your very observant,it was just the fact it didnt look right ,to me as a designer it has to look right,
Iknow as Jez says that falling into the trap of throwing bling at it is a waste of time and resources,looks like i tumbled in :LOL: :LOL: ,yeah the word mish-mash rings a bell :LOL: :LOL:
I'm going to put the cooks on ebay for a ton start , i need to be sure of selling at that minimum,i know they will anyway but i have to be sure
Then use that to fund either an XTR crank or a polished syncros[sorry jez i saw yours but couldnt decide] then finish off the rest of the running gear with XTR
I've had a suggestion that i strip back to the bare Ti,seems a good idea ,but once the crank is sorted out i'll look at it again
-----------
Anyone got a spare syncros crank kicking about? :D
-----------
Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions ,there were plenty that i hadnt even thought of

that's the spirit mate, i think it could be a really cool bike by going back to the drawing board. you cant go wrong with clean and simple. simple =cool :cool: :D

Change the forks, cranks, and strip it back to the Ti finish or decal it up, Then use either black or silver parts and i think it would look great.

When it looks right you'll be happy to ride it :cool:

If you want to salvage that build and have a bike that "shines" there are a few things to keep in mind...

1. Keep it simple. You can't go wrong that way.
2. Keep it "pro". I mean pro assembly. The cable housing is WAAAAY too long and could be routed better. Keep the housing as short as possible without affecting performance.
3. Every bike has a "mannequin fit". Basically, this means that every frame was designed to be ridden by a rider of a certain proportions. If you are too far away from the "ideal" rider and try to make the bike fit you will end up with a bike that handles funny AND looks a bit off.

The things that are off about your bike...

That fork. You have a simple frame with an overly complex fork. Installing a standard telescoping fork (RockShox Judy or Marzocchi Bomber would be my choice) would go a long way to making the bike look right.

If you can't get a frame that fits better then do something that makes this fits better. Your saddle is pointed down A LOT and that stem is too long. I've spent a lot of years fitting people to bicycles and your set up tells me that you're not comfortable. First, that saddle is a torture device. Just because it's made by a reputable brand does not mean it's a comfortable saddle. If you're trying to keep the "pro" look replace it with a Flite. That saddle has a lot more flex in the shell than yours. Also, level it and lower the seatpost by 1-3cm at least. It will keep you from sliding forward and putting a lot of pressure on your hands, too. Slide the saddle back (and ideally get a seatpost with setback to it). Overall, this will keep your leg extension about the same, but will make you more comfortable and make the bike look better. Don't forget to install a shorter stem to compensate for the reach difference.

That crank... do you REALLY need a chainring that size? Could you get close to that ratio with a different cassette or are you already running an 11t on there? Also, if you really don't want to run a double or a triple (which you may want to consider) you'll need a chain guide. I would recommend another chainring or two, though, and a front derailleur.

Details... same color headset spacers, for example. I have the same problem with my bike right now. Don't get too crazy with colors, unless they are accents and can all match. Otherwise, just stick with silver or black. Headset would ideally match the seat collar in color. Stem and seatpost match in color. You get the picture.

In general, think "accents" not "statement" when you pick parts. You can't have each component make a statement on its own, but if they are done right they accent the bike just enough that it can make a powerful statement as a complete machine.

Accessories... get rid of that pump and the fenders. If you need a pump switch to a CO2 in a seat pouch or have a hydration pack. As for the fenders... if you need one, have a clip-on that's easily removable. Keep it near the bike, not on the bike. You'll be happier with it in the long run.

Pedals... consider clipless?

Hopefully this helps and you end up with a bike that you actually like and want to ride! I think it's better to try all of this rather than just getting rid of the thing.

dyna-ti":2x7bd7l5 said:
I've been thinking this for a while ,but i dont know if im cut out for cycling these days,after spending some £7-800 building my current [and only] bike,it seems that the build is wrong ,and what im coming up with is not shiny and exciting but dull and confused
I can't afford to keep spending this amount of money in this financial climate,as my outgoings are increasing exponentially

Bloody shame really as i've always wanted a ti frame and CK wheelset
But as my dear old dad always says in these situations
"you've got to cut your cloth accordingly'
All this coupled with the lack of actual cycling that i do [prob' about once a month]makes me think i'd be better selling everything that i've bought these last few months,and leave it either till time or money are more plentiful
If i sell and at this stage im not entirely sure ,i'd prefer to sell complete but stripped for parts will recoup more of my money, quicker

Back