1992 Off-Road Toad (dark green)

Re:

Stupid question... when you say off road toad, is the brand “off road” and the model is “toad”?

I picked up an off road master for my son as a project. I’m on the lower east coast and these brands weren’t around in the 90’s, so I’m not exactly familiar with the names. Just curious if the toad & master are cousins

Not related. Offroad Toad is a brand out of Vancouver BC Canada. There was an earlier fillet brazed ORT, then these tig-welded ones. Okay a few other rarities are out there (Horny, titanium, etc.), but no 'Master'.

Re:

I think what Shamobius is saying, is that this North-west coast place of magic and wonder (Vancouver, BC) was perhaps one of two or three 'ground zeros' (plus California and perhaps Colorado as well) and for the inception and explosion of the burgeoning mountain-biking craze that swept the world by storm, pretty much beginning back in the mid-eighties. Tom Ritchey, Joe Breeze, Gary Fischer, Paul Brodie, Rocky Mountain, the Off-Road Toad ... these were each very earnest and then custom creations/offerings into that world of ideas and bikes and adventure and madness; and now some of those most inventive and iconic brands and models are the very sought after 'collectibles' that are discussed and valued here in these Retro-bike forums ...

... the ORT included!

It's all about pedigree, and provenance. :idea:

Re: Re:

k-rod":qvzbqjrq said:
I think what Shamobius is saying, is that this North-west coast place of magic and wonder (Vancouver, BC) was perhaps one of two or three 'ground zeros' (plus California and perhaps Colorado as well) and for the inception and explosion of the burgeoning mountain-biking craze that swept the world by storm, pretty much beginning back in the mid-eighties. Tom Ritchey, Joe Breeze, Gary Fischer, Paul Brodie, Rocky Mountain, the Off-Road Toad ... these were each very earnest and then custom creations/offerings into that world of ideas and bikes and adventure and madness; and now some of those most inventive and iconic brands and models are the very sought after 'collectibles' that are discussed and valued here in these Retro-bike forums ...

... the ORT included!

It's all about pedigree, and provenance. :idea:

Perfectly said K-Rod, thank you!

That deserves another pic! :)

20191123_edit2 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Re: Re:

Scvintage":3jnex687 said:
Stupid question... when you say off road toad, is the brand “off road” and the model is “toad”?

I picked up an off road master for my son as a project. I’m on the lower east coast and these brands weren’t around in the 90’s, so I’m not exactly familiar with the names. Just curious if the toad & master are cousins

The Offroad Master was one of the Offroad models that were related to the Flexstem, Pro-flex and Girvin. They were around in the late 80's. As already pointed out a different company to this bike, and though not boutique and as sought after not exactly shabby either.

More info out there but here is a wee starter for you.
http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/BikeHi ... irvin.html

Walking down the route on your hands… that’s just showing off?! 😋

Hopefully no damage done! 👍🏻

This bike is begging for an M733 (or 735 i am not sure) brake set w/ slr on the meaty levers. It´s too tough for those lightweight dia compes.

Back