1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Cheers, ive had enough of hydro brakes over the years so gone back to good old simple v's

The rockshox will go soon as ive got some rigids to go on

Wow, What fun ive had today I love this bike it rides beautifully. So spritely and fun much more comfortable and less fatigeing then my last carbon trek 9.7.

The only faults on the ride was it looks like the cassette it came with has had it as the chain keeps slipping under load. The saddle Isnt working for me so i think im going to try a flite of some sort.
Only minor gripes to a great ride and to think this is only the begining hahaaa

Dug my period kona gloves out lol

Xs5nSsp.jpg

Some pics during the ride.

UXBelKNh.jpg

0jYRw5ih.jpg

iiv4dsTh.jpg

MsG9Qk6h.jpg

veettI6h.jpg

NATDOKQh.jpg

q5tSCCBh.jpg

xazgfnwh.jpg

1HSRvFxh.jpg

KMSqEVwh.jpg

New cassette fitted, I cant belive how these have come allong over the years tech wise. £10 and its drilled and plastic spaced for lightness. That was only xt/xtr territiory years ago.

Ju8w4Ajh.jpg

The chainset upgrade had to come allong sooner than i was going to as well as the factory one was slipping a bit on the middle ring.
Decided on a RaceFace LP square taper in the end as i really like them and never had one. I bought it off a fellow retrobiker and he threw in the RaceFace ti bottom bracket cheap as well so couldnt say no the bearings are silky smooth still too. I'll polish them to death before fitting

8uIIiGIh.jpg

6iTZFZbh.jpg

Had a weighing session not bad

6iTZFZbh.jpg

PBPfpihh.jpg

The rings wernt too bad but thought i might as well replace them as the rest of the drive has been changed and when i saw some people sporting the T.A Rings on thier RaceFace cranks that was the decision made.

Got some haribo's with them too... result.

uAWyNlBh.jpg

K5LzbULh.jpg

More weighing, a nice saving on the rings to the RF's

jvWf9Hih.jpg

ov0UHmmh.jpg

Lh3iim3h.jpg

Finally got the RF chainset polished and built up the T.A rings Lovely combination and they shift beautifully.
End result is a saving of 320 gramms for bb and chainset compared to stock result.

polished and Built

rZhR9xxh.jpg

8iS13Fch.jpg

Old chainset weight

jRM008Fh.jpg

Fitted

13dhTbCh.jpg

IhAGHY3h.jpg

With that done went for a ride love it

TzTkZN7h.jpg

uah8u5Eh.jpg

rVf0URxh.jpg

kzDPTXmh.jpg

Got back and chain was a bit gritty so gave it all a quick clean and lube. Frame washed off with ease with the sealent on.

FrONWJ4h.jpg

Another great ride. Stepped off for a nice pic in Hartley Wintney

KKeFZKKh.jpg

UetKih1h.jpg

My Legend of a brother also found this in his catalogue collection and gave it to me.

fA2RMizh.jpg

Re:

Cheers I was going to do them today but with the rockshox being white they look quite christmassy, so I think ill change them boxing day maybe lol

Re: Re:

Paul R":cvdxrmt5 said:
Cheers I was going to do them today but with the rockshox being white they look quite christmassy, so I think ill change them boxing day maybe lol

Excellent it will keep you from getting bored :xmas-wink:

Exactly lol if I csn move from all the earing haha

Latest posts

Back