MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re: Re:

RobMac":e95nag9f said:
Has the fat bike had it's day?
Not if the forecast for the end of next week is to be believed.

10" of snow to fall up here.

Just as well we have our fatties fettled for Global Fat Bike Day on Saturday.

Jamie & I are doing the Aultnabreac Loop.

Anyone wanting to join us is welcome.

RobMac":3hc74axm said:
Has the fat bike had it's day?

Yes*

(*as a tool of the bike industry intent on selling us the latest must have mass produced consumerism’s)

No*

(* to those that actually need a bike with that particular skill set, or who just like them.)

Does anyone actually give a fcuk? *

(* except those that never liked them in the first place and just want to gloat)

Maybe the fatbike has had its day.

Once the bandwagonners arrived, the market for fatbikes boomed, but they wanted stuff like "modern trail geometry", slack angles, suspension, etc and the manufacturers were only too happy to give it to them.

The end result was bike suited for artificial trails, downhill focused riding, jumps etc, and a long way from something you'd want to plough through soft going on.

If the bandwaggoners have moved on, then maybe the manufacturers will evolve the bikes back towards proper go anywhere bikes.

Everything has a place :)
Like the others have said, maybe the 'trend' is dying off, but even then I am not too sure.
All you see on facebook and other social media is fatbikes coming out the woodwork for winter so I think the trendiness of it is still on the level. I think once some of the people who got them for summer ride them in winter they will maybe see how much fun it is, not competitive, just fun with the ability to ride when and where you maybe previously couldn't due to conditions.
And yeah with GFD almost upon us, they will definitely be out and about this weekend. If anyone does want to join Brian and I then I can organise somewhere to stay for Friday or Saturday night and then we can take the van out to the start.

jamie

Jamie

Re:

Currently too unfit to ride the distance from my front door to the bus stop, 10 yards. So no audax for me.

Fat bikes will never die, just go back to being niche where they are happiest :)

clubby":30wxinvr said:
Does anyone actually give a fcuk? *

(* except those that never liked them in the first place and just want to gloat)
insert here.....Auld Bob :twisted:

Re:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME :D

I know its bad to announce your own Birthday but its a significant one !

Today I have been on this planet for 50 Years :shock:

Its been interesting and thanks to folks like you guys its also been pretty good fun in places :LOL:

So hopefully whatever remains will be not bad as well.

Cheers MacRetro and Retrobike at large, I couldn't do it without you :xmas-cool:

Re:

Happy Birthday Velo!
Hope the coming years are full of good memories and adventures, with many miles travelled.

Ask Rob about claiming your free bus pass, he's an auld cnut too :LOL: ;)

Back