Lotus Sport Campagnolo (finished pg24) & XTR (finished pg29)

Re:

I"m sure you are happy with it looks great now if you get a good paint match for the XTR blue/grey, let me in on it as I have yet to find s satisfactory shade

Re: Re:

yakboy":1s0i8vfd said:
I"m sure you are happy with it looks great now if you get a good paint match for the XTR blue/grey, let me in on it as I have yet to find s satisfactory shade

I’ve got an idea I might try tomorrow, but at best it’s going to be a patch.... I wish it was easier to fully strip these, I’d go right past the anodised layer and have them shine like chrome..

Re: Lotus Sport Campagnolo (finished pg24) & XTR

Just saying the Campag Lotus build is nice along with some class tinkering.

I've had the same issue with running MTB FDs with triple road cranks so can relate to the course of action; especially
as you were on a 130mm rear spacing with a OS AL seat-tube. Did you not explore the option of eating more
spinach and simply remove the granny ring all together?

Woz":25ajdcj5 said:
Just saying the Campag Lotus build is nice along with some class tinkering.

I've had the same issue with running MTB FDs with triple road cranks so can relate to the course of action; especially
as you were on a 130mm rear spacing with a OS AL seat-tube. Did you not explore the option of eating more
spinach and simply remove the granny ring all together?

:LOL: Hello Woz....and I like spinach too! But it wouldn’t have helped, the little 16” Campag is my boys bike......

...yeah I got that. Eat and ride greens?

Started reading this thread last week, got as far as P.4 when I sent a text to you congratulating you on the rear end polishing and asking how (having tried and failed in 1995 to polish up my first Alpinestars Al Mega!), so thanks again for the tips and congratulations on darn good job on both bikes!

My takeaways from the thread (to date):

A complaint on your [incorrect] use of Loti as a plural instead of Lotuses. Reminds me of people on a Ford Focus Owners' Forum years ago starting calling them Foci. Grr :LOL:

The effort on polishing is amazing! The results show but don't tell the true story I'm sure. Great tip using MAAS! Also, the work on the RD-M900 is awesome. You shared the tip on my build for using Evaporust, which I've yet to take the plunge on. But your bolts look great after a dip. And the black acid etch is just genius level of product knowledge and use thereof. Bravo on all of that.

The effort spent on researching Lotus history and choosing color schemes is great to see. My only experience with the brand was getting a passenger ride around Stowe at Silverstone in 99 in a Lotus Racing Elise driven by a LRE race driver. A great brand and company. Well worth the effort spent here! Impressive stuff. I'd have liked to see more influence from the Gold Leaf livery with white and more gold, but I love it. The gold chainrings are so good.

The choices of components on both builds is perfect. I don't know if I'd choose anything different if I was using the same themes. Excellent! Glad that my rubber post-cure experiment has helped you bring those Contis back to life!

There was more, but having started and stopped for the past three hours reading this, I think I've got the big things covered! Well done and Jim's BRG machine is definitely getting my vote for BOTM. :mrgreen:

Congrats mate. Love it, and the XTR build too. Look forward to seeing both in the metal some time.

Woz":37peprnd said:
...yeah I got that. Eat and ride greens?
He’s ok with his broccoli and spinach.. ;)

Whilst you lot enjoying the little Campy, I thought I’d better get on with the big boy…..
First job was to apply the repro Araya RM-400 rim stickers. These are something me & Gil have been mucking about with (he thinks they should look like this, I think they should be a more chocolaty brown, doesn’t really mater as these are just applied for fun)I know the rims are the real McCoy as supplied by Adrian….

Then on with the chain.. a tidy CN-HG71 (photo taken to catch the new RB calendar) :D

I had to muck about a little with the NOS XTR sealed gear outers and also had to buy a little extra as this set only had the standard two long lengths for up front and two short lengths for the seat tube pass and the rear mech, nothing for the up-pull FD…. Bit of arsing about but eventually happy with the lengths….

And a peek-a-boo shot of the M900 cassette text

Attachments

• IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    944.2 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3391.JPG
    IMG_3391.JPG
    839.6 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_3397.JPG
    IMG_3397.JPG
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 402
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 403

regan_ev":9e0d2eoo said:
Started reading this thread last week, got as far as P.4 when I sent a text to you congratulating you on the rear end polishing and asking how (having tried and failed in 1995 to polish up my first Alpinestars Al Mega!), so thanks again for the tips and congratulations on darn good job on both bikes! My pleasure

My takeaways from the thread (to date):

A complaint on your [incorrect] use of Loti as a plural instead of Lotuses. Reminds me of people on a Ford Focus Owners' Forum years ago starting calling them Foci. Grr :LOL: Excellent…the desired result ;)

The effort on polishing is amazing! The results show but don't tell the true story I'm sure. Great tip using MAAS! Also, the work on the RD-M900 is awesome. You shared the tip on my build for using Evaporust, which I've yet to take the plunge on. But your bolts look great after a dip. And the black acid etch is just genius level of product knowledge and use thereof. Bravo on all of that. Cheers! :D

The effort spent on researching Lotus history and choosing color schemes is great to see. My only experience with the brand was getting a passenger ride around Stowe at Silverstone in 99 in a Lotus Racing Elise driven by a LRE race driver. A great brand and company. Well worth the effort spent here! Impressive stuff. I'd have liked to see more influence from the Gold Leaf livery with white and more gold, but I love it. The gold chainrings are so good.

The choices of components on both builds is perfect. I don't know if I'd choose anything different if I was using the same themes. Excellent! Glad that my rubber post-cure experiment has helped you bring those Contis back to life! That bake was possibly the most satisfying to date

There was more, but having started and stopped for the past three hours reading this, I think I've got the big things covered! Well done and Jim's BRG machine is definitely getting my vote for BOTM. :mrgreen: That will please him no end...

Congrats mate. Love it, and the XTR build too. Look forward to seeing both in the metal some time.

Will need to have a good look through this long thread at a later time, but having seen the finished photos on p.24 I have to say well done your son must be very proud of his efforts and yourself, too. (Also, thanks for directing to the finished page from your Bike Of the Month nomination entry - saves scrolling through 28 pages.)

Barnard102":1th8ovr6 said:
Will need to have a good look through this long thread at a later time, but having seen the finished photos on p.24 I have to say well done your son must be very proud of his efforts and yourself, too. (Also, thanks for directing to the finished page from your Bike Of the Month nomination entry - saves scrolling through 28 pages.)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Oh yes, there's quite a lot that you can scroll right by without really missing anything noteworthy I can tell you :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back