Dilemma that needs your help in resolving

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Bike buying has spiralled so far out of control that I need to do some selling again as there is no real room in the shed.

I thought that I'd move on the Surly 1x1 as I haven't developed an attachment to it yet. Although there has been a few people interested no one serious has come forward. Then, while knee deep in water at the Wobble, a thought came to me, as I will explain.

I currently ride a very tidy Surly Crosscheck to work, set up fixed using the semi horizontal dropouts and with mudguards. What I could do is sell the Crosscheck (in such good condition should be no problem) and run the 1x1 as fixed/ss with slicks and mudguards. Gearing should be no problem - the current 48x18/20 on 700c wheels is pretty similar just a bit stiffer as 53x18/20 on 26" wheels.

Any thoughts - good idea or ramblings of a madman?

ededwards":324in7vi said:
Any thoughts - good idea or ramblings of a madman?

Your call. I reckon a singlespeed mtb with slicks makes a great utility bike. Stick a dynamo hub in the front for the ultimate in convenience. For longer distances I'd prefer a drop bar.

Just one point - you might need to think about reducing the cog sizes at both ends to get chainring clearance. A 53t is a pretty big ring to clear those "Fatties Fit Fine" chainstays. I'm running 42:15, which must be in the same ballpark gear-wise.

edit: here's my old Rockhopper which was built along those lines. The gear was 50:18, and chainstay clearance was already a problem with reasonable bottom bracket lengths.

http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=ymwpzx& ... &nostamp=1

Good comment about the big ring Jim, must admit I hadn't thought of that (which is why I posted in the first place, you think that you have thunk of everything and then.....).

Must admit that I am tending towards the conversion and had already part decided to go with drop bars.

Bit more thought clearly required!

Thanks Perry, that's really helpful, much better than the calculator I was using

Back