Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:20 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 66 ]
Link from a friend 14%  14%  [ 15 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 104
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Hi Paul
Welcome aboard, jump right in and join in the banter.
Hopefully you'll be getting a few rides in before you sell them :)
Once your ready and you know what you want for them, take a couple of photos and measurements then stick an ad in the for sale section.
If not sure of value there is a thread on the main road chat section where the 'what's it worth?' questions go.
You can also put a thread in readers rides section telling their and your dads story along with any photos etc. I'm sure many would be interested.

Jamie

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:17 pm 

Hi all, just joined up here by recommendation from an old colleague, I was a master wheelbuilder hand building thousands upon thousands of top end carbon wheels far beyond the brand's quality expectations for nearly 10 years before having to call it a day.

I now find myself with a pair of retros I'll need to give some love and after advice on the bike they are attached to. I'm not in any way clued up with this stuff and its simply helping my grandad clear his garage.

If anyone could date a British eagle falcon for me I'd very much appreciate it, I've been clearing my grandads garage for him and need to find this bike a good home but I've no clue about it, I guess I'll have to keep posting to be able to attach pictures for help :)

Attachments:
20191021_195222.jpg
20191021_195222.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 218 times ]

Post subject: Newbie Hello
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 am 

Hello all,
I just posted this somewhere else on the site, as I couldn't find this area.
Typically, I have now!
Anyway, this is a little about me:
As a teenager in the 70's I joined the Wigmore Cycling Club, where a school mate already raced. Everyone else had hand built Youngs, Philbrook (PAG), Holdsworth etc. In Reynolds 531.
I had a Dawes Star Realmrider (still do have it) in gas pipe.
I regularly did club runs, and the Iwade 10 mile TT's. I enjoyed the participation, only ever got one win medal, a Harrietsham KCC 10 miler 1st on handicap.
Down to the fact I had just put on a set of 2nd hand sprints and tubs. And a Stronglight/TA Cotterless cranks and Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear mech. also 2nd hand.
It felt so much lighter and responsive, especially when it rained half way through and I could feel less rolling resistance - due to the fact that the tubs. we're grass track pimple tread and not road race type!
I stopped participating to do other things, but continued to cycle around Bristol whilst at Uni. and then to and from work if nearby, or the station if commuting.
I had a little good luck on a charity pools and bought a "new old stock" 1982 Raleigh Record Ace (Worksop built) in 531c from a Chatham Raleigh shop. At last, my 1st Reynolds 531 bike!
I've done some miles on this one.
Including 3 London to Brighton, British Heart Foundation sponsored charity rides. Had a massive crash coming down into Brighton one year, ending up in A/E via the St John's Ambulance.
Good thing that I was a registered rider.
Had 13 stitches across my chin and 3 inside it.
Now I'm retired I'm gathering parts and tools to commence building bikes as a hobby to ride, including wheel building.
I haven't mentioned my time working as a schoolboy in Halfords, mostly in the bike section, progressing to buying a BSA Bantam, Tiger Cub then Tiger 90. Doing all the maintenance I could.
After marriage, we bought a 1969 Reliant Scimitar GT Coupe 3 litre.
Still do work on that.
I also "ran" my son for 12 years in MSA/RAC kart racing mostly TKM 100 junior with 1 year in MSA Super 1, then 115 cc senior.
I was the oily rag. The only servicing I couldn't do was the rebores and big end change as it needs careful balancing. They run regularly at 16500 RPM, so balance is fairly important!
That's me, folks.
I have recently bought a late Holdsworth (Marlboro era?) in 531 to revive, and a few others in 531, of course. More info on these to follow - later.
Bye for now.
Robin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 am 

Long time road cyclist living in 'one' of the birth places of Mountain Biking- Crested Butte, CO. A bit compulsive, I now own 5: 1950 Claud Butler AC, 1951 Carlton Massed Start, 1952 Paris Cycles TdF, 1949 Maclean, and the first one, a 1970 Witcomb. Some need little work, others need a lot of work. The rich history of the times (just after the war, rationing, etc.), the personalities of the frame builders, in addition to the beautiful lug work and so forth, drew me to them.
Coming from modern bikes (touring, racing, fat bikes), I had no idea as to the difficulties of finding components of the era. Carry on, and thank God for eBay!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100