How far to go..

How far?

• Stick with Pic 1.. tis how it should be!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for Pic 2.. It'll be more comfortable..

• Ruin the geometry.. Go for Pic 3!

• Total voters
Wow... errr, It has moved, I was only joking. Interesting Moderation? erm... :| Can I take it form the removal of my thread that bikes from 1999 with forks over 80mm travel aren't retro? The line has been drawn. :roll:

I just think its a bit slack. I'm not impressed. I was looking for some valuable opinions and this is what happens? Hmph! :evil:

seems a bit harsh! especially when a topic of "meet the new modorators" is in retro!!

i think you should stick to the travel the frame was designed for

i always think it's best to stay within the recommended specs for the frame, i think you'd get away with 100mm but i think it wouldn't ride as nice as with the recommended 80mm.

a while ago i borrowed a pair of u turn forks off a friend so that i could decide on the travel i wanted on a bike so have you got a mate with a spare fork?

It's an odd call, I'd have said this was a 'retro' thread but hay ho! there is a link from retro chat at least. ;)

As for forks, I'd go with a nice set of RC36 Evos. I reckon 70mm is 'right' but you could at least run 90mm if you wanted. They are the only forks for a 1999 orange-white Clockwork too, nothing else is allowed. ;) :D

lol, starting a moderation war. Now was the topic a 99 bike (non-retro) or was it about the impact of fitting longer forks to an older frame (sounds like a genuine retro topic to me!).

Anyway, I would stick with #1, but skip whatever cack is in the picture and fit a Pace fork, did you not know it is the law?

My word.

To address a few points raised in this thread.

1. I'd stick with the travel the bike was intended for.
2. The 'real world' difference between an 80mm and 110mm fork is large. You will notice the difference.
3. A 1999 Orange clockwork isn't really retro. A thread about sticking 100mm forks on it even less so.
4. Does it matter which forum it's in? Your question was answered. Maybe try posting this q on other retro boards and see what sort of respose you get. I guarantee it won't be a simple moved thread followed by a good response from the masses.

John":3nesnrb1 said:
My word.

To address a few points raised in this thread.

1. I'd stick with the travel the bike was intended for.
2. The 'real world' difference between an 80mm and 110mm fork is large. You will notice the difference.
3. A 1999 Orange clockwork isn't really retro. A thread about sticking 100mm forks on it even less so.
4. Does it matter which forum it's in? Your question was answered. Maybe try posting this q on other retro boards and see what sort of respose you get. I guarantee it won't be a simple moved thread followed by a good response from the masses.

I'll have the final word I suppose, right to reply 'n' all..

1. I like exploring options before dismissing them. I think the photo's cherrybomb has provided clearly show that a 90mm travel fork won't work. They make the bike look like picture 3.

2. My five has 140mm forks, my inbred has 90mm travel, I know about the difference in travel and the way that it can upset geometry.

3. By definition a 1999 clockwork is 'retro'. At first I didn't think so, but it's a 10 year old bike commemorating the 10th anniversary of a 20 year old bike by re-releasing an unmistakable finish. If I said the same about a 10th anniversary FAT i'd be hung out to dry.

This is the first time I have ever read a mod judging a bike to be non-retro. I have no problem with this, definitions are great so i've removed all links to it. It make me wonder though, my Kula is only 2 years older and my P7 3 years older... I'm not retro enough!

4. On the whole I love this site because it isn't like other sites that empose rules based on strict judgements of what is, or what isn't acceptable. I suppose I just feel a little jaded by this. It will probably make me share less, but hey ho, as long as things stay nice.

I really apprieciate what the Mods do on this site.. they obviously work hard to keep it going and we all owe them for that.

Nuf said.

Back