koga miyata ti-runner

vincenth

Retro Guru
my new project had just arrived, a bontrager or frame, and the very next day I find an offer I can't refuse... a koga miyata ti-runner in the right size.
I picked up the frame tuesday, stripped it wednesday and rebuild it today (I have a week off ;) )
The clearcoat was coming of everywere so I decided to strip the tubes. I made a little mistake here as I forgot that titanium is much harder than aluminium. Initially I wanted to high polish the tubes but the tubes were sanded pretty rough so I choose the easy route: a matt finish.
For the build I used one of my other, lower end, bikes as a donor. the only parts I reinstalled are the headset, frontmech, bottom bracket and seatpost.
The seatpost will be swapped for a use titanium.
I'm not sure yet about the crankset and might swap it for a sachs quarz.
The wheels are currently xtrm950 hubs/mavic x517 rims and these will be swapped for a set with white industries front hub and hugi rear hub. If you have a nos/vgc mavic x517 ceramic rim please let me know.
Last but not least the bike needs new decals and I might add some more blue anodized stuff.

Attachments

• koga tirunner (4).jpg
    koga tirunner (4).jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 538
  • koga tirunner (3)1.jpg
    koga tirunner (3)1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 537
  • koga tirunner (5).jpg
    koga tirunner (5).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 535
Lovely. I have a Pathrunner, Cro-Mo / AL version. How did you strip the clearcoat off?

Thank you both.
Yesterday I took the bike to a local Trail which is build on an old dump site. It's a pretty technical one with steep climbs, compound banking, fast descents and corners. It felt like this Koga inspired more confidence and is faster than my modernish 29er. (or maybe I just had a good day)

Woz":2hgteg3k said:
How did you strip the clearcoat off?
Honestly I have no idea how it's called or how to describe it.
I used some sort of disc from a local hardwarestore that attached to a drill.

Back