Looking for info LH SPECIAL GLOUCESTER

Way2many":glgr7cl1 said:
Just added this topic to the Glos City Facebook page...see if anything happens.

nice one Carl - I don't do FarceBook (not retro enough for a Luddite)

Way2many":2srfny8u said:
Just added this topic to the Glos City Facebook page...see if anything happens.

That’s a brilliant idea , cheers
Keep trawling the net but nothing to really find out , I hope someone has some information .

Lee

Re:

Looking closely at the seat tube sticker I'm pretty sure that it just says "Southgate" across the blue spoked wheel. This would tie into the address details at the bottom of the sticker....

The really interesting thing is that this sticker appears to have been placed on top of an older sticker. You can clearly see by looking at the 6 o'clock position on the wheel that there is another sticker underneath. Otherwise, that gold curved section that is visible does not make sense. It must be the bottom of a letter that is partially obscured by the later sticker!

Steve.

Attachments

• Southgate.jpg
    Southgate.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 429
Re: L.H. Special Gloucester.

As far as I know L.H. Specials were sold from Southgate Cycles in Gloucester. Harold Limbrick was the owner and more info can be found about him on the Gloucester City C.C. website on the trophy page, click on the Limbrick Cup. As for the frames we think that they could have been made by Mercian and Harold put his name on them ( H.L. backwards ) or possibly Major Nichols. Hope that helps.

Re: Re:

Ralph_the_Rohan":u90wcxbj said:
Looking closely at the seat tube sticker I'm pretty sure that it just says "Southgate" across the blue spoked wheel. This would tie into the address details at the bottom of the sticker....

The really interesting thing is that this sticker appears to have been placed on top of an older sticker. You can clearly see by looking at the 6 o'clock position on the wheel that there is another sticker underneath. Otherwise, that gold curved section that is visible does not make sense. It must be the bottom of a letter that is partially obscured by the later sticker!

Steve.
wow good work ! So it looks like you could be right ! Thanks.

The Gardener":3skejva5 said:
As far as I know L.H. Specials were sold from Southgate Cycles in Gloucester. Harold Limbrick was the owner and more info can be found about him on the Gloucester City C.C. website on the trophy page, click on the Limbrick Cup. As for the frames we think that they could have been made by Mercian and Harold put his name on them ( H.L. backwards ) or possibly Major Nichols. Hope that helps.

That’s great Info thank you ! The next time I go and see the old chap in his home I will tell him what I’ve found , I wonder if Harold designed the frames ? What made me want to find out where it came from as it rides so well ! Seems strange it’s got flat bars on it ? The old chaps wife used to ride it so they may have been put on , I’m presuming it maybe started life as a road bike ?

The Gardener":3brah3vb said:

Here is the link

https://www.gloscitycc.co.uk/project/the-limbrick-cup/

Would love to know the address of his shop and I’d go and take a pic for you - or look it up on Google Maps Street view

Here is the link

https://www.gloscitycc.co.uk/project/the-limbrick-cup/

Would love to know the address of his shop and I’d go and take a pic for you - or look it up on Google Maps Street view[/quote]

That’s a great read thanks , so even if he didn’t build the frame but may have had some hand in designing it there is a little bit of cycling nostalgia with that frame

The Gardener":1aoc8a63 said:

Haven’t heard of Major Nichols before however this too is also a very plausible builder for the frame

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Nichols

Back