The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Have been looking into Denon and Yamaha.... budget is poo at the moment having bought the other half a Marantz cd6006 for his birthday next week.

Going back to the Sony HMK 20, although it has a built in amp it's not a very powerful one. Would I be OK hooking it up to a Rega pre-amp?

LeeDevelopment":31dboev2 said:
Have been looking into Denon and Yamaha.... budget is poo at the moment having bought the other half a Marantz cd6006 for his birthday next week.

Going back to the Sony HMK 20, although it has a built in amp it's not a very powerful one. Would I be OK hooking it up to a Rega pre-amp?

Only if it has a pre-out

And what do you mean by 'not very powerful' - 1 watt can be the equivalent of 90 decibels at a 1 metre distance given the right speakers! To get to useful volumes in the average home takes about 5 to 8 watts.

Of course given your hearing, I suppose if your partner is deaf too and you both rely on bass, a subwoofer would be better.

Hi everyone!
My mate's going to buy Trek Madone 5.2 soon, but she's not completely sure.
May someone helps her with the advice. Maybe someone has this bike and can tell me its pros and cons on practice.
Thank you in advance.

Re:

We know nothing of bikes here :D

However - to more pressing matters............

I've been using my old (left the factory in 1986) A&R Cambridge A60 amp for a couple of years now but recently at highish volumes its been blowing the right speaker fuse (fuses are internal to the amp thankfully). Only rated at 1.6amps and I have spares, but anyone know what the issue is? All is fine if I keep volume below about 40% but its letting go at higher levels.........might have to bring the Audiolab pre/power combo outta hibernation :twisted:

Re:

Someone on my local facebook is selling a Kenwood KX-96-W double cassette deck brand new in the celophane for £20 is it worth going for ?

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":23rpcqtx said:

I've been using my old (left the factory in 1986) A&R Cambridge A60 amp for a couple of years now but recently at highish volumes its been blowing the right speaker fuse (fuses are internal to the amp thankfully). Only rated at 1.6amps and I have spares, but anyone know what the issue is? All is fine if I keep volume below about 40% but its letting go at higher levels.........might have to bring the Audiolab pre/power combo outta hibernation :twisted:

I'd swap the left and right speaker connections, sounds to me like it's a short or leaky crossover. Alternatively have a sniff around with a multimeter if you have one.

Re: Re:

I can take a decent punt on motorcycle electrics bit wouldn't know where to start on speakers or stereo gear. Fortunately since I changed the fuse last time all has been well, even with some hefty volumes of CLUTCH last night :xmas-cool:

Maybe just a couple of duff fuses?

hamster":2lux3iip said:
Mr Panda":2lux3iip said:

I'd swap the left and right speaker connections, sounds to me like it's a short or leaky crossover. Alternatively have a sniff around with a multimeter if you have one.

Back