lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi all. i'll not go through the whole story of this as i have done it before. basically this is my bike from when i was 16. sold it and lost most of the retro stuff. bought it back, stripped it and rebuilt it.

the plan was to keep it perion ish. its a 95 frame bought in 96 so i wanted everything pre 97. i almost did it too!

the biggest problem encountered were the brakes. not long after i bought the bike i aquired a set of curve cantis and levers as my mate upgraded to v's. i have always loved these brakes and really wanted them to remain with the bike, but i also fell in love with the forks, and thats where the problems began.

i contacted member justbackdated who supplied me with a pace brace with a cable stop to allow me to run cantis. the only problem is that i really wasnt keen on the way it looked. the only way to have pace forks and a canti brake was to run rc35's. i considered this but eventually decided i'd rather have the forks than the brakes so the 36's remained.

i then had to decide what brakes to have. i have never been a big fan of v's so needed to do a fair bit of research. i eventually stumbled across a set of stx rc v's brand new and in the packaging. i have always liked the finish of stx rc components, they are correct for the period and they also fit in with the quality level the bike originally came with.

the finished spec is...

Frame: 95 fire mountain 18".powder coated and re decaled thanks to gil_m

Fork: 1997 pace rc 36 pro class

Headset: dia compe gold ahead
Stem: pace
Handlebar: pace rc sub 130 (thanks ededwards)
Grips: ritchey wcs foam
Barends:

Brakes: NOS STX RC V's
Brake Pads: shimano
Brake Cables: clarke
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: avid. uknown origin but match fork!

Shifters: deore 7 speed thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: xt
Rear Derailleur: 105
Derailleur Cables: jagwire
Cassette: shimano road
Chain: yaban gold (couldnt find sedis)
Cranks: cook bros RSR
Crank Bolts: unbranded self extracting
Chainrings: pace extruder groove
Chainring bolts: unbranded gold
Bottom Bracket: modern shimano cartridge
Pedals: xt spd with nos gold collars

Hub Skewers: halo alen key
Rims: campagnolo stheno
Hubs: shimano xt
Nipples: unbranded gold alloy
Spokes: dt double butted
Tyres: tioga psycho k butterscotch for posing, grey for riding
Tubes: round, black and presta

Saddle: retrimmed flite titanium
Seatpost: syncros
Seatpost Binder: standard kona, gold alloy bolt

Weight:dont know. est 25/26

here's some pics (thanks to henrylowther.co.uk)

slrwc4.jpg

ippjsp.jpg

zklfsn.jpg

71rc05.jpg

2n66v4z.jpg

forgot to say. thanks to people who suplied parts for this. i deleted my messsages so cant remember everyone!

more pics if i may

9qzkue.jpg

2me687r.jpg

az7ywn.jpg

2ryo6lk.jpg

206hjtg.jpg

35ktqmq.jpg

iem168.jpg

well

that looks amazing! I have thoose avid levers to, and I don't really like them together with thumbies, if you find some XT levers they would be so classy on this! But this bike is really prestine...

Beautiful build!

The detailing in the second photo - with the white / black / gold - looks perfect. Nicely crisp and clean!

Agree with the comment about the photos though...

...they're nice, but any chance of some pleb-type-shots that concentrate more on just the bike...?!

Back