Whats the next super material for bikes?

mazdaman1980

Senior Retro Guru
I was just thinking about the whole bike building process and where these bikes are going next. Long term i know that Titanium is the current leader although Carbon is lighter and potentially stronger. So after Carbon, where are the likes of Kevlar, Strontium, Zirconium and Molybdenum??

What is the next super material?

Stuff

Titanium is getting much "bigger" Aand being combined with Carbon and Kevlar strands formed into the tubing, stronger, lighter and still rust proof with extreme impact resistance. Carbon has had its day really, altho popular, its fr too impact prone, one good prang and curtains still, even a small drop onto a hard object can "total" a frame in a second.

Apparently if there were no dangerous factors Plutonium has excellent qualities.

Thats scary, you would not need lights at night, you would have a natural glow!!

I think good steel is going to come back in a big way- It just feels better than Alu and cromo is back on more than a few bike ranges, but titanium is still the best in my eyes, just too expensive for mass production.

Back