Show us what you did today, thread

Thanks Rob.
I must say having paddled Old Town canoes for lots and lots of years I am obviously a fan, but they have always been Poly or Royalex but a long time ago I was in an outfitters in Canada with about half a dozen of these old school wood and canvas canoes hanging from the ceiling and was completely in awe at them. Always wanted one but never thought I would realistically own one, but here we are. I must say it is far better than even I had daydreamed it would be to paddle, hell, even look at. Love it :)
Very lucky my family loves to paddle as well.

Jamie

There are many traditional plans available for wooden canoes in books and online. Old Town itself still make or contract out the making of a similar style to the HW, the Otca to another traditional maker, still based in Maine USA. Not cheap but clearly quality.
This one is mahogany boards, western red cedar ribs etc. Not bad for being built in 1920.

Jamie

Yeah, I have the early history and the original build sheet. Started July 26th and finished September 11th 1920 for a Miss Dorothy Worthington Butts. A very interesting lady who moved to New York and became a radio script writer as well as writing a broadway play. It was delivered to her in college when she was 23. She passed in 1985. That is what the DWB monogram on the canoe stands for and this is also the colour scheme it was delivered in with the monogram, though originally it was bright white rather than off white. Lots more to it but you get the jist that it has a rich history. :)

Jamie

Re:

A really nice canoe Jamie, it shows the quality of workmanship and materials that it is still around and in very good nick nearly 100 years later. It also obvious the high level of care given to it through it's existence. It's braw.

Have been really busy lately what with my sister being over from Oz, away with the canoe and then spending the last few weekends up and down the road trying to fix Heathers car. Well I got home from down near Aviemore with Heathers car late on Saturday night and was determined that I was going riding today, especially when I got up and it was such a nice sunny day.
A few jobs to get sorted first but after readjusting the cones on the front hub of the Jack Taylor I managed to get a nice couple of hours out cruising round the coast just enjoying being out riding after a couple of weeks without. Cleared the head for sure. Super Clubman ran really nice as usual and while I may have sorted the front wheel I still need to sort the bottom bracket that has started creaking. I thought it may have been the cranks but I had them off recently when I checked the BB was done up and even cleaned, adjusted and lubed my pedals before the ride just to make sure they were fine but no luck so looks like a new BB.
I still have to get my freshly painted Mercian built up but I'm thinking now that winters here I may just build up the touring Mercian to take the brunt of the winter riding and leave the nice one for spring. Plus Brian will be back soon wanting to road ride ;) That's also what I did today, went down some wet boggy tracks on the JT just to keep my eye in for when Brian gets home.
Sounds like Rob has had a good ride out today as well so hope everyone else either got a ride in or got some sunshine, maybe both if you were lucky.
And Happy Birthday to Mr P as well, hope it was a good one :)

Jamie

IMG_2102 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2101 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2105 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2110 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2107 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back