Light 'em up!!!

cut 'n' shut tesco torch

Thanks for the positive comments guy's, here are the basics on how to do the conversion.

the mods to the torches involves :

disassemble torch into 3 main parts (end cap with switch, main body, and LED/lens unit). cut approx 55mm of main body with good hacksaw, making sure you do not damage threads for lens unit.

dissasemble LED/lens unit and you will see that there is a small inbuilt current regulation circuit, unsolder this and run 2 new leads from LED module.

using the wonder of the web, do a search on 'dealextreme' for the mounts shown, they are a tight fit on the body of the torch, but with a bit of persuasion they wil fit. For the driver cards I went for some cheap 700mA fixed output types from ebay (look under seller 'sureelectronics').

I decided not to use the existing switch module, and simply got some suitable blanking plugs to fit the cut end of the torch bodies, the ones I found are plastic units that are commonly found at most electronics suppliers. these were then centre drilled and fitted with some simple and small waterproof on/off switches from Maplins.

Wiring is fairly simple - from the 7.2V battery pack I am running the 2 light units in parallel NOT series. the drivers need to be wired up with the +/- output to the appropiate wires of the LED's.

the negative (-) lead of the battery is run to the negative (-) input terminal of the driver cards, the positive of the battery is run up and through the switch units and then to the positive terminal of the driver card input.

the tricky bit really is getting the driver card and wiring all inside the cut down body section as space is a little tight. the wiring that passes out to the battery pack goes through a waterproof gromit mounted under the bracket assembly to keep it out of direct water spray.

the battery itself is mounted in a nylon fabric holder that mounts via velcro straps to the frame top tube. these holders are found on ebay as accesories used by 'airsoft' enthusiasts.

rough breakdown on prices are :

2 x tesco C-cell torches : £22
2 x mounts from dealextreme : £3.50
2 x driver cards from ebay : £11
2 x switches from maplins : £4
odds n sods (blanking plugs, wire, etc) : £3
battery pack holder from ebay : £4

battery packs can be got from ebay for approx £18 - £24

hope this helps a little, but any more questions let me know :D

cheers - UZ

hi
home made lights aer good cos you can spec your lights to suit your needs but as a lot of light manufactors are getting into building lights with ssc p7 leds and li-ion battery are getting very cheap now.you can get a p7 700 lumens light from air bike for about £118 but if you have the time and DIY know how home made is better

these are some i made last year
twinbattery.jpg

900 lumens but will be about 1200 lumens when i fit the new drivers but ive bought a 900 lumens p7 thorch from deal extreme
thorch £15
7.4v 6000mah li-ion battery + charger £18
3 stage driver £6
cables and various bits £10
so all in i should get 850 lumens for £49
thwang

lightsssssssss

well heres mine not bad for just a tad over 24 quid .....

Attachments

• bikes 037 (Medium).jpg
    bikes 037 (Medium).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 989
  • bikes 038 (Medium).jpg
    bikes 038 (Medium).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 989
  • bikes 042 (Medium).jpg
    bikes 042 (Medium).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 989
well i decided to go for a couple of the tesco cree lights as the seem very good value
so went to buy some but my tesco,s only has the c cell versions :(
does any one have a tesco thats got the aa cells version in stock?
that dont mind grabbing me a couple and then posting them to me??
i will of course cover all costs ;)

rob

Back