Retro Concorde Toscana (project)

Reposter

Dirt Disciple
Hi everybody,

I discovered your forum by way of the Retro Rides (car) board, so thought it appropriate to join and introduce myself and my recently purchased frame. I live in Melbourne, Australia, and pictured below is my new Concorde. It has Columbus Thron tubing (so it's not exactly a light weight) and a Shimano 600 headset. But, I think an Italian frame deserves Italian components, so the plan is scour bike jumbles and ebay for swanky Campy bits and the like.

Apologies for the rubbish photos.

concorde037pz8.jpg

concorde036tr3.jpg

concorde040mo8.jpg

Cheers,

Luke

Hello Luke,

Welcome on the forums :)

It is Italian made (at least most Concorde roadbikes are for as far I know), but it is Dutch brand - maybe you already knew. Like you I think Italian components are the right choice for the Concorde.

I happen to have original team PDM Concorde pantographed parts. Will take pics and post them up soon.

Concorde

hi reposter
lovely concorde frame, really good condition.
What age would that be?
Anyway welcome to the forum, always good to have another Aussie onboard, I'm from NSW but have been up here in Scotland for 7 years :shock: now.
I remember back home I used to ride under this big orange ball in the sky, havent seen it here though :roll:
Keep us posted
Jamie

Lovely looking Concorde you have there, always liked them from when the PDM team rode them.

Columbus Thron is a pretty strong tubing set and often used in particular on bigger frames. As Melvin mentions above, Campag would be well suited although personally I wouldn't worry about changing a Shimano 600 headset unless there was something functionally wrong with it.

Nice buy, i especially like the chromed rear end and the chromed front mech braze-on and also the aero top tube cable guides. looks in good nick, decent looking paint job too. One sweet ride...keep posting your progress, oh and welcome :)

Cheers for all the warm welcomes.

Thanks Elev12k, I'd love to see the team PDM parts.

If it's any consolation Jamie, we haven't seen much of the big red orb in Melbourne this year, either ;)

I believe the frame would be late 80s? Someone here can probably date it better than I.

You're right ededwards, no point changing the current headset. Shimano 600 is a fairly decent bit of kit, as far as I can tell.

Apparently the previous owner raced it only a couple of times, then hung it on a wall, which probably explains the good condition.

I've booked a spot at a retro bike swap-meet next week, so the hunt for parts begins then :cool:

Concorde

That will build up quite nicely. I had a Squadra with SLX tubing and it was lovely to ride. Why did I sell it? Goodness knows.

Back