(1st project newbie)

Vitalcorn

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone I'm new on the forum,

I finally found the courage to start a project
I'm a total newbie I've never worked on a bike before, just a bit when I was adolescent I had a Sunn Le Saint in a 4X / DH setup, I think I'll reuse some of the pieces of this bike.

I've found a not well known french MBK M344 (little brother of the M584) from 1994 (maybe? so older than me) on the fb marketplace

Today I bought a full 2nd hand toolkit for the price of the bike, I totally disassembled it

Here's some details on the frame I've installed some Avid V-brakes found for cheap.
The build is going to be with 2nd hand modern pieces I don't know if it's ok on the forum ? I don't see a lot of neo retro builds here.

I will update really soon as I'm going to buy everything this week to finish it thanks to ebay and facebook marketplace :D

Re:

Great work so far!

No rules at all on what parts you use and post on here.

Everyone has an opinion but it’s your bike at the end of the day.

Occasionally there is some ‘discussion’ around modding classic frames but again ultimately the owners call.

Personally I like it when people mix it up!

Very impressed with you getting that bb out first attempt.

Several have beaten me...

Anyway welcome and good luck with the build, just don’t get carried away and spend too much!

Re:

Welcome to the forum Vit.
As WWC said no hard and fast rules here, your project, your cash so do what pleases you with it!
Don't think there's been an MBK M344 on here before? buth there is an unimaginable amount of knowledge here so just shout up if need help, there's no stupid questions.... just stupid answers.. ;)

This guy on Youtube has some great videos for beginners.. RJ The Bike Guy give him a look & good luck.. :cool:

Re:

It's looking better already :D
I think that's a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle that's on it, and the chainset looks decent, but as you say, modern parts will work just as well.

Re: Re:

Thanks for the warm welcome ! And I also apologise for my approximate English :?

jimo746":vavdhd8x said:
It's looking better already :D
I think that's a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle that's on it, and the chainset looks decent, but as you say, modern parts will work just as well.

Good eyes ! Yep it's this one but in very bad condition funny to see a good saddle on a bike like that

Re: MBK M344 (1st project newbie)

Good work wih the cleaning, looks much better.

Got some news !
I almost finished the bike during this rainy week-end !
Really proud of my first build and i'm glad that I've found all the parts quickly.

Here's some picture for the first test ride this afternoon in the woods
Everything looking fine with the 1" to 1 -1/8" fork adapter
Last thing is to find a black seatpost in 25mm to finish the build :D

I think I'll start to put money aside to buy a hardtail titanium frame as I've some good components, I've always wanted a beautiful titanium frame with an oldschool Fox fork :)

My first "training" build is done and it ride well here a pic with the final black seatpost

Frame: 1994 MBK M344

Headset: Dia Comp 1”
Stem: Raceface Evolve AM
Handlebar: Raceface Evolve DH 710mm
Grips: SRAM
Brakes + levers : V-Brakes Avid 2.0

Shifters: Sram X5 10V
Rear Derailleur: Sram X5 10V
Cassette: 10V Sunrace CSRS1 11-32
Chain: SRAM PC1031 Apex
Cranks: Sunrace 96bcd 175mm
Chainrings: 34T Narrow Wide
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52
Pedals: Shimano Saints

Wheels : 2014 Mavic Crossride UB 26”
Tyres: Maxxis crossmark 2.1

Saddle: Italia
Seatpost: Btwin 25mm

And good news I just ordered a Titanium frame a 1997 Voodoo D-Jab so I'll start my second build as soon as I'll found a fork ! :D

Re:

Wow - that's pretty brave ... jumping onto a Ti frame build right after your very first project ...

But, nice bike - you should do well with the next one too ...

Back