Thorn Sherpa. Sold.

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
Thorn Sherpa Touring bike in Grey.

Reynolds 525 conical tubing with Reynolds 531 forks.

26” wheels with 27 speed triple chainset low gearing for heavy loaded travel.

Ideal camping tracking bike with low use. In excellent condition with a very few minor age marks!

50cm centre of crank to top. Standover height is 82 cm. Would ideally suit from around 5’7” to around 5’10”.

Reynolds 525 with Reynolds 531 forks. Full brazed on fitments for front and rear panniers. 3 bottle holder braze ons.

A very smooth, comfortable, very easy to maintain and dependable touring bike to ride.

THORN size is 510S.

If it helps, I'm just over 5 feet 8 inches tall and ride it how you see it in the photos.44.

Deore chain set. 22 - 32 -
Deore LX front and rear derailleurs.
Bar end shifters.
Mavic EX 721 36h rims.
Shimano Parallax hubs. Lovely and smooth.
Avid cantilever brakes with Shimano levers.
Panaracer Pasela 26 x 1.75 tyres.
SKS mudguards.
Rear rack.

From the Thorn Sherpa brochure:

The Sherpa can be used for day to day transport, or it can literally travel the world. The Sherpa’s very stable and it handles superbly. There’s no possibility whatsoever of accidentally overlapping feet and mudguards. The Sherpa makes light work of 28kg loads and the larger sizes will carry up to 40kg. On an occasional basis. 26” wheels are the best possible choice for heavily loaded touring. The 26” MTB wheel has a vast variety of different tyres available and tyres for this size are obtainable in every country in the world!

The Sherpa has clearance for 2" tyres.
Some 26” tyres are for MTB use, some are heavy duty for expedition use, whilst others are very quick indeed! We love to cycle on Broads and country lanes. These roads are in worse condition today, than anyone can remember. On these roads, fat tyres, which are zero-maintenance suspension, make great sense. They make just as much sense in the pot-holed streets of today’s cities!

I've got size 11 feet and find toe overlap a real problem with 700c wheels. No problem with this type of trekking bike whatsoever.

Collection (GL2 area of Gloucester).

I am prepared to courier the bike to standard UK post codes. This would be additional £35.

£425

Attachments

• Sherpa 4.jpg
    Sherpa 4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,450
  • Sherpa 3.jpg
    Sherpa 3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,450
  • Sherpa 2.jpg
    Sherpa 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,450
  • Thorn 1c.jpg
    Thorn 1c.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,275
  • Thorn 1b.jpg
    Thorn 1b.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,275
Re: Mk1 Thorn Sherpa Tourer - Photos added.

Photos added. pm with questions.

I'll try and get some better ones if and when the weather ever improves. Makes the handlebars look bigger than they actually are.

Re: Mk1 Thorn Sherpa Tourer

Going to be on Fleabay during the next £1 selling bonanza!

Make a great winter bike for someone.

So added what are hopefully better photos than the last ones which weren't very good.

Took it for a brief spin this afternoon.

I had heard in the past that the Sherpa does not ride particularly well unladen. Well this one certainly does. The ride is lovely and smooth and the gear indexing is superb;
it just glides along.

Alas, I am not in a position to use a drop bar bike any longer or I would certainly be keeping it.

I would consider a swap for a straight handlebar version of a similar type of touring bike. Surly/Thorn/Soma/Genesis Longitude.

Re: Mk1 Thorn Sherpa Touring Bike. Reduced to £395.

Will also include a handlebar mirror and steel toe clips.

Back