New/Old Breezer photos

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Rooting through the files for items to scan for Retrobike, I found an envelope with a number of B&W photos, obviously taken in 1978, of my then-new Breezer #2 and one of Alan Bonds' klunker creations.

My original Breezer currently resides in the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, so I rarely get to see it and I didn't have any good photos. These were taken when it was brand new, and I had forgotten that they even existed until today.

Attachments

• Breezer78_01.jpg
    Breezer78_01.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,959
  • Breezer78_02.jpg
    Breezer78_02.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,959
  • Breezer78_03.jpg
    Breezer78_03.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,959
What a fantastic bike - what sort of weight would these bikes have been?

I guess when you're mainly heading downhill it's not so much of an issue!

orange71":i7g35mg8 said:
What a fantastic bike - what sort of weight would these bikes have been?

I guess when you're mainly heading downhill it's not so much of an issue!

They felt light compared to what they replaced, but with the only available rims, which were then steel, around 35 pounds. We rode them uphill, downhill, over Pearl Pass, wherever we needed to go.

Take a look at the Alan Bonds "klunker" posted here also, and think what it must have been like to move from that to this.

Wow. Do they let you take your old bike for a spin once in a while?

Nice TAs, those Suntour bits as well...and the real Maguras. Is that a Magura bar? What brand are those steel rims?

tam_shadow":186g4sxp said:
Wow. Do they let you take your old bike for a spin once in a while?

If I were ever where it was I'm sure I would, but I haven't been there in a number of years. It's on permanent loan, but it has to be one of the most collectible and influential bicycles ever.

tam_shadow":186g4sxp said:
Nice TAs, those Suntour bits as well...and the real Maguras. Is that a Magura bar? What brand are those steel rims?

Real Magura bars, and both shifters are "right hand." The left side shifter is turned backwards.

Rims are Schwinn S-2 steel. Really heavy, as are the tyres.

Fork is Red Line, hubs are Phil Wood with allen-key end bolts. Saddle is Brooks.

Repack Rider":3qgx2o6h said:
Rims are Schwinn S-2 steel. Really heavy, as are the tyres.

Ahh...I can just make out the shadow of the centerline knurl. There are a lot of things I recall with a fondness from my youth (1978 I was a freshman at Tam High)...Carlisles ain't one of them :D

Back