Bottom Bracket - anyone know which tool? Japan 1.37x24 Cup

Diver

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Bottom bracket on my old Claud is creaking too much so time for a refurb. Only problem is the adjustable cup is on tight - does anyone recognise this type and the tool needed to get it off? It's two square notches

I have tried some long nose pliers and putting a flathead screwdriver in and whacking - but can't seem to get enough torque on it so now reluctantly looking for the correct tool for the job... or some other ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_171752.jpg
    IMG_20190921_171752.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,784
Many thanks, that looks like it will do the trick. Just ordered Unior 1672 - a bit cheaper than HCW11

Have you tried the crank-side cup? If you can loosen it off a turn it will take a bit of pressure off of the adjustable cup, should make it easier to remove.

Re: Re:

Rank_21":1vircorz said:
https://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/BB/C-207.html

Thanks, I really need something just like that to be able to get the leverage - but that price!

This thing is seized and having no luck with the park tool which just slips. All ideas welcome

Finally got around to finishing this job so a small update below for anyone wondering or anyone in the future discovering this thread who is having the same problem I had:

A pair of 10" Stillsons on the fixed cup (eventually) broke that side loose. The adjustable side (you know, the side that is supposed to be free and adjustable...) is soaking in penetrating fluid as we speak for me to attack tomorrow.

As you can see from the images it was in a very bad way. Probably 30 years of accumulated dirt, no wonder it was creaking.

I was expecting to pull out a dirty plastic sleeve but was surprised to find a cardboard one which has seen better days.

Anyone have a good recommendation for what product to replace that with?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_142124.jpg
    IMG_20200816_142124.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200816_142444.jpg
    IMG_20200816_142444.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 201
Soak it in oil and put it back, they work perfectly....

Back