Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

That is a lovely Rudge, and perfect size sidecar. I may need it soon as Brian has been getting lots of miles in while out in Oz.
I had seen the display and the story of Lils record on the the Flying Scot group and thought about trying to get down to see it. Everyone says the museum is well worth the visit.
Good to see your getting the little man accustomed to the cycling lifestyle. :)
Jamie

An impressive ride. Fixed wheel too.

230/12 = just under a 20mph average.

No doubt the aerodynamic hat played a part.

Show us what you did earlier this month, thread

This is more of a "Show us what you did earlier this month"

I've been deported to Oz for a wee while, in Far North Queensland. I think the crime was having an insufficiency of bikes.

I managed to borrow back my Giant Bowery from my philistine nephew who had converted it into a flat bar bike. Fortunately I just happened to have a suitable set of handlebars and levers in my luggage, not to mention a complete tool kit. How convenient... :)

So out for a couple of test spins.

Oz is a big country, even the grass is big. This might be why Jamie came to Scotland, he couldn't push the mower through this lot.

Did some tourist stuff and rode into town. This is the view from across the road from my parents old house.

Did a spot of "gravel" riding, Gravel is a form of track, so a track bike should be the same as a gravel bike? Not sure about those 25mm tyres though. :)

So I thought I'd try something a bit easier.

Good of them to warn about the crocs. Usually you allow 6m for a safe distance from the water, but in this case the edge of the track is the water.

So the obvious thing to do is to ride on the far edge of the track. But there's a slight problem with that - it's croc territory too, the water comes up to its edge.

I don't remember having this problem in Scotland.

And for a bit more touristing, off to the Tank museum.

My bike might not be too retro, obsolete as it may be, but these boys sure are:

Show us what you did this week, thread

Now for "Show us what you did this week"

Time to venture a bit further on the bike now I know there's no hidden nasties in it.

So away to Holloway's Beach where I used to live in a shack just off the beach before SWMBO insisted on a more desirable des res.

About 45 years ago I hacked a track with my machete through the edges of the mangroves around the spit of sand the village is on. (I'd be hung up by the family jewels for that today.)

So was it still there 30 years after we moved? Down to the boat ramp to find out.

They didn't have warnings like that back then.

But you can see why

I've seen crocs nearly the length of my surf ski when I used to paddle up there (a 20' Haydyn Kenny job, not the modern shorties), and now that shooting crocs is banned, they are unlikely to have shrunk.

The good news is the track is still there, and is wider. There's little plaques fixed to various trees and plants explaining what they are, so it's obviously getting some use.

The last bit up to the end of the spit has disappeared, and the track comes out here. It was mostly rideable to that point.

That's what I used to wake up to every morning, and I'd subject my kids to a run the length of the beach and back (abt 3km), and then they had to swim out for 500m to where I was on the surf ski. First there got to paddle back.

They never appreciated my humming the Jaws theme for some reason... :)

Re:

Looks nicer than I imagined, though I very much enjoy our lack of deadly wildlife here! It also might be a bit warm for me... what kind of temperatures do you get there?

Re: Re:

ajm":3fllc8nj said:
Looks nicer than I imagined, though I very much enjoy our lack of deadly wildlife here! It also might be a bit warm for me... what kind of temperatures do you get there?
It's winter here so generally mid 20ºC during the day and might drop to low 10ºC at night.

Re:

My wee bruv during his mid teens built up an Airfix model of a Jagdpanzer. However being my brother and the fact he later went to art college the level of detail he achieved by paint effects was amazing including oil and mud stains bullet holes, damaged armour etc etc. Looking at it you kept expecting it to come to life and start trying to annexe the house for the reich :LOL:

Mind you I find it weird why the Ozzies have an example since I thought most of their wartime efforts were directed against the Japanese. It looks out of place in a sunny sandy climate. Jagdpanzers spent most of their existence fighting the Russki's. Especially since the Russians had the only serious tanks to fight the Germans with for most of the war until the American Pershings showed up.

Australia alas is a place I will never go because my partner cannot survive a flight of more than 2 hours with her health conditions. Mind you long flights do me in too. If sub orbital supersonic stuff becomes the norm and Oz becomes 2 hours away in my lifetime then maybe but probably sci-fi :roll:

Re:

Velo
Australia entered the war alongside Britain and fought in campaigns all over Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Australia had just over 1 million individuals involved. The commonwealth fought for Britain and the empire.
Certainly Britain could not have declared without having the Commonwealth support, which barring a few individual nations were British citizens.
A quick recap here:
https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/second-world-war

Jamie

Invoking memories of a tamiya well spent youth, where you started with a normal build, but soon customised for a scene or a picture you'd seen (in a library book :LOL: ), then ultimately burnt it out for it's final scene

Still catch Combat Dealers on doco TV from time to time, there seems to be a huge appetite in Oz for memorabilia.

Absolutely Jamie, even read of a local legend of a nazi survey landing in Oz.. can't remember the details, one that's not made the history books but an interesting story none the less.. canny find it :facepalm:

Back