Kirk Revolution Magnesium oddity

Re: Re:

jimo746":3dk8alfj said:
It seems Magnesium bikes might be the future after all :D

https://youtu.be/Gkrp_KYXHow

Just ask Frank Stapleton (or was he the centre forward for Arensal)

Anyway anyone remember Tomorrows World........ by all accounts One Ton of sea water and you get a Kirk :shock:

BTW that’s LGF in the G wagon

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdU8j5ydVuI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

DeoreXT735girl":2p2k2z5r said:
these look great! especially in the fuschia pink! I would just hang one on the wall.

It's not Pink, it's Cerise! :x

;) :LOL:

I'm afraid my retro bikes get ridden in all weathers, I much prefer to put real art on my walls.

pazaudi":1nnieut4 said:
So what went wrong?

I let my heart overrule my head, and ended up with this lump of Magnesium which roughly resembles a mtb.

pazaudi":45z6xsu3 said:
So what went wrong?

Oh you mean with Kirk Bicycles? The excerpt below briefly explains it...

For a while the new set-up seemed successful. The design concept was good; manufacturing, financial backing and marketing were now in the hands of an experienced company, so why are they no longer making bikes today? Probably a combination of factors conspired against them. The time delay between concept and production had been too long, problems with the early models were not easily resolved, and the expectations of Norsk Hydro were not fulfilled quickly enough after their massive capital investment. And then were definite reliability problems - a Bath shop sold about six of the MTBs in 1992. All of them came back with broken frames. By 1992 Norsk Hydro had pulled out. Dawes soon cleared their remaining stocks, and practically the only Kirk bikes now seen are those on Veteran Cycle Club rides.

Taken ftom this now defunct but very informative site... https://web.archive.org/web/20170618171 ... k/Kirk.htm

Many may be surprised to discover that "Duxuk" isn't my real name! It's actually Andrew Kirk. I loved the look of the Revolution when it first appeared but only now might I consider acquiring one. Or should I close our Ebay account and burn my bank card, instead?

Buy one - they are as sh1t as they are Iconic

Mines a keeper for both of the reasons listed above - nothing else comes close

Retro Spud":2jvnft6h said:
- nothing else comes close

:LOL:

I swear the black Kirk I used to have was nowhere near as flexy as this one is.
Just riding out of the car park I was out of the saddle to pick some speed up, something wasn't right, first I thought I had a flat rear tyre, or maybe the wheel had moved in the dropouts, it was only when I looked down whilst pedalling I could actually see the back end was wagging left/right under power :shock:
Climbing was no better.
Riding singletrack felt as though the back wheel was squirming around in mud, even on the dry trails!
I've stripped the frame down now, in my opinion it's almost unideable, I mean you do kind of get used to it after a while, but F'me! I've never ridden anything quite like it :LOL:
I don't do wall hangers, but I think it's all this frame is good for, it definately looks 100x better than it rides.

Back