Show us what you did today, thread

Day off today and Sharron and the wee lad were busy at various baby clubs, so got peace to get the Saffron rebuilt.
In case you missed it, when I was giving a deep clean earlier in the year, I found what I thought was a big paint chip. As I cleaned the area more, I found that the tube had cracked. The brazed joint was fine, but it looked like the tube had failed where the butting ended. I contacted the builder and sent the frame back for repair.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

4 months have gone by but on Monday I finally got it back again. Since the frame had to be stripped for an all over inspection I had the option of a new paint colour. I'd toyed with blue before settling originally on silver, so went for a Mini colour from a car I'd been sat behind at some traffic lights. Quite a change but really happy with it.

Resurrection by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Also indulged my inner (an outer) bike tart with a 12 speed upgrade and new 1x Reverb dropper lever to replace the original plunger version. On the original build the dropper lever was on right as the from lock out needed to go on the left. All my other bikes have had the dropper on the left and this resulted in a few moments where instead of dropping the post heading into a downhill, I locked out the forks instead. Now they are both on the same side. That combined with the new shifter give a freakily uncluttered right bar area.

Just need to find some time to ride now.

epicyclo":2m5zqx0l said:
It's actually going to end up as the sidecar body for his Surly Big Dummy...

Nah, he'll use an old bathtub as a sidecar just like Bernard Briggs.

Jamie, looks like a braw canoe, is it ready to go on the water?

Re:

What tubing is the frame made from Clubby?
They didn't get an old batch of tubes from Chris Chance did they? :LOL: strange for a modern frame to fail like that though.

Re:

Looks great in blue Clubby. Different colour makes it seem like a new bike. The different set up means it will probably feel like it too.
OCP, the canoe is ready to drop straight in the water and paddle. A couple of small things to sort but nothing urgent.

Jamie

Re:

Bike looks great Clubby, I really like the blue.
I guess you had it built back up in no time without having to faff with cables eh?
Is the extra gears so you can go faster? Or to haul you up the hills? ;) :LOL:

Re: Re:

DynaCol":2lvxfgi2 said:
What tubing is the frame made from Clubby?

Columbus Zona, with an 853 down tube for a top tube.
Not sure what he’s replaced the seat tube with this time.

Jimo, gears were a cinch to set up. Reverb cabling was a bit of a pain though. Drop it down seat tube, pull out of bb shell, thread modelling wire the other end and tape together. Then pull back carefully without pulling the tape off. Always tricky even after lots of practice with the gears on the STS.

I know why Jamie really got the canoe.

I've invited him on a road ride planned for when I come back.

Here's one I prepared earlier...

Re:

lovely lookign colour Clubby. the lefty looks kinda weird though lol.

love that pic Epicyclo sure we have a few roads like that round fife as well :facepalm:

Doors open weekend down here meaning free entry to local attractions or a chance to nosey round buildings that are normally closed to the public. Yesterday we went to the mortuary chapel at the Western cemetery in Arbroath. My parent are buried in the row next to it, but it's not normally open to the public. Really interesting to be able to have a look inside. Amazing stone carvings cover the inside, all done by the same stone mason. Outside is the same with animal carvings and gargoyles all over it.

Today we took Logan to the Dundee Transport Museum. Small but lots of local pieces about the Tay bridges and and old Dundee and Angus local railway network. In fact we rode a lot of the old course of it on the gravel ride. Third hall had displays about the old Dundee cycling clubs and some properly retro bikes on display.

I also found the perfect ride for when Jamie is too old to keep up with Epicyclo. Rudge roadster with sidecar.

Also had a lovely record breaking Flying Scot.

Good morning out, probably not worth a huge journey but certainly worth a visit if you're in the area.

Back